Liquid diet and weight loss

malonsonm
on 3/9/09 5:28 am
My surgery is 1 week from today. My surgeon has a strict diet for 2 weeks pre op which I have been on for a week. I have heard all these stories of how people lost up to 30 pounds alone on the 2 weeks of liquid diet....well I have lost squat.

Im sure my surgeon is not going to be thrilled that I havent lost a thing...only problem is, IM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! Im so pissed, because there are people on here who have told me they even cheated a little and lost pounds and pounds and pounds on the 2 week diet.

My surgeon has a list of protein shakes, unsweetened applesauce, yogurt (like yoplait light), sugar free pudding and jello and broth as well as decaffinated non carbonated sugar free beverages. I have not cheated once, and have been averaging 900-1000 calories a day (not supposed to exceed 1200 per day).

Im just so frustrated, feel like im the only one this happend to, and am wondering....am i even going to lose any weight post op? I mean im barely eating and nothing is coming off...is this surgery even going to help me? Or am I destined to be miserable forever....? Just need some help or encouragement.

2 side notes: I am type 1 (yes...type 1, i know it will never go away) diabetic, and am on insulin (always will be), and i know its harder to lose weight on insulin, so could this be the problem? My surgeon even mentioned it is hard to lose weight on insulin, so he knows this may be delaying me.

Also, I have been extremely constipated (maybe a little TMI...sorry) since starting this 2 week liquid diet. Last week My doc told me to try milk of magnesia to help me go once, then to take something like mirilax or fiber supplements to keep me regular....well that didnt work. The only thing that is working (and only somewhat) is the milk of magnesia, and without going in to detail, its not like normal going...its unpleasant and really not frequent enough still....does anyone have any suggestions that will help this problem...my surgeon said this could be a part of slowing weight loss too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated...Thanks

Michelle
rockysmom
on 3/11/09 8:28 am - Dartmouth, MA
Sounds like all of what you mentioned could be the cause.  If your surgeon understands the problem, my advise is just keep doing what your s'posed to do, and try not to worry about it.  (Stay off the scale, too!)  You will lose after the surgery, so what happens before is just icing on the cake.  Next week you will be well on your way in your weight loss journey
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 3:14 pm, edited 3/15/09 3:14 pm - Togo
I didn't have to do a two week pre-op diet but I was told to take in only clear liquids, like broth, etc, two days before surgery.

The reason is not about losing weight during those two weeks - it is to make certain the liver is not enlarged. If the liver is enlarged the surgery is difficult to perform. Sometimes it is even postponed because of an enlarged liver.

So if you have been following the pre-op diet as he instructed 
you to do then you should be okay for surgery. 

brendastewart
on 3/17/09 12:51 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hey Michelle,

I applaud you for sticking to the liquid diet.  It is not easy, but will be well worth it.

I believe Dr. Ameri has you do the post op diet before not only to make sure your body is ready, but to make sure you are getting ready mentally, emotionally and that you are committed for your new life.  I had the reverse affect, I actually have lost more preop than postop which frustrates me a little, but know that it will come off.

I'm sure the insuline and bathroom issue must have something to do with the lack of loss.  When I did my two week I was taking in less than 600 cal. a day.  I usually only had two shakes and a yogurt.  I made sure I got my 60 oz of water and 60 gram protein.

I'm sorry I don't have any words of wizdom, but Dr. Ameri has a high success rate and I have no doubt he knows what he is doing.

Keep up the good work and the payoff will come.
Brenda

Highest Weight   253.2  /  SW 230 /  CW 153.6  /  Goal  150  /  Height 5'  5 1/2"
Surgery Date:  February 9, 2009

jayner
on 3/17/09 2:20 am - Littleton, MA
hi,

I had terrible constipation problems and I switched to Activia nonfat yogurt and added protein powder to it. You probably won't see results in a week, but it gave me soft, lovely stools. I still have it for my daily breakfastwith some berries added to it.

good luck,

Jayne

Stacy C.
on 3/30/09 12:25 am - Greenville, MI
First of all, keep your chin up. You will lose weight, not everyone is the same. You can't live on that many calories alone without eventually losing weight. Hang in there, I know you can do it!

As far as the constipation goes, have you tried Senna tea or pills? They are all natural, and work for me when I am having that problem. If you don't like tea, I would go for the pills. If you take them at bed time, they should kick in some time in the a.m.

Hope this helps,

Stacy
 Stacy Lynn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs