exercise/weight loss advice?

jdr1208
on 3/9/09 3:41 am - Worcester, MA
ok so ive lost 7lbs in the past year... not a whole lot... my hunger problem has become worse with quitting smoking and thats been my biggest enemy. i was told i could not have the surgery if i smoked so despite a few relapses here and there i think ive done really well, but for anyone who has every quit smoking, i hope im not the only one, the hunger cravings have been ridiculous. my behavioral appointment is on the 18th and then she will reccomend me for the surgeon if im ready and one of the stipulation for being ready is losing more weight. ive drastically changed my diet, gone from bowl of cereal in the morning with my son, then a wicked high calorie coffee addcition at starbucks, a carb packed lunch, vending machine snacks, a healthy dinner (baked fish and steamed veggies. my husband doesnt know ive been having an affair with starbucks and the vending machines at work) and lots of water. to piece of wheat toast with pb or a hard boiled egg for breakfast, black tea once i get to work, a can of veggie soup or
plain tuna with soy sauce and crackers and a yogurt or applesauce for lunch/snack, and same healthy dinner and lots of water, i was feeling really hopeful when i hopped on the scale this morning only to be dissapointed to find i only lost 0.4lbs. bummer! i walk a lot but not consistently. so ive decided i need to step this up and have decided to get up a half hour earlier in the morning (uh 4:30) and exercise then, the house is quiet this is the best time, plus ive heard that doing it in the morning is better... but we have no exercise dvd's and charter on demand sucks. any advice on what i can do (ie: jumping jacks? jogging in place? crunches? [keeping in mind i feel like im going to have a heart attack walking up a flight of stairs] ) to help kick start my metabolism? also i think ive been doing it right with the food but maybe im not? any advice???
sorry this is so long, im at a loss and im petrified to the point of anxiety that i'll get denied from my insurance.
Sue M.
on 3/9/09 5:09 am - Nantucket, MA
You are doing a great job!

Here's what I did to start dropping some LBs before surgery:

I went to www.thedailyplate.com and started journaling my food.  When you register you put in your height and weight and it tells you how many calories you should aim to eat on any given day.  You can set it to lose 1 or 2 lbs a week.  Not only did this help me lose weight, but I paid attention to where my calories came from, how much protein I ate... things that will be very important after surgery.  You might want to add more fiber to your diet - it is very filling.

I also bought a kitchen scale and weighed things like cold cuts or a piece of chicken so that I could know what i was aiming for just by size. 

I can't give you any advice about the smoking... I was only a casual smoker. 

I was really bad about the exercise pre and post op...until we got a dog.  now I have to walk the dog all the time, which gives me at least SOME exercise. 
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
rockysmom
on 3/11/09 8:42 am - Dartmouth, MA
Your diet sounds good -- maybe you could eat a little more -- add a bit more lean protein. Sometimes if you increase your calories for a few days, and then drop them again you can "jiggle" your metabolism.  Excercise usually helps to kick start things (I hate it too) -- I'm sure you've heard this advice before, find something you like to do - I love dancing.  When I first started excercising again after the surgery, I tried some suggestions from weigh****chers.  Park your car a little farther from the door at work, or anywhere you drive to.  Keep increasing the distance every day.  (I gave myself a break when it was raining hard or snowing).  If you sit at a desk all day, get up every hour or two and walk around the office for few minutes.  Try to conciously be aware of every opportunity to be active and take it.  Go to the mall and walk (check out all the great clothes you'll be able to wear when you lose the weight!)  Try not to stress too much over the insurance -- they must realize, if we were good at losing weight (and keeping it off) we wouldn't NEED the surgery! 
I can't help much with smoking cravings -- I quit 26 years ago.  Maybe you could try the patch or gum?
Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/09 3:25 pm - Togo
Swimming. It is the best over-all exercise. You can join the y.w.c.a. and take water aerobic classes with other women. It is a lot of fun and you don't even think about the fact that you are actually exercising. The women talk, laugh, and have a good time. It is so much fun. And a great assist to getting those pounds off. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views