Starting the process

jpkelly13
on 2/23/09 3:53 am - Medford, MA
I have decided to look into the surgical options open to me. A couple of years ago I was a patient at the MGH weight center (non surgical patient) but I stopped going because both my Doctor and nutritionist left the practice. Now that I am looking to go the Surgical route I am planning to go back to the MGH Weight center. Has anyone here gone through that program?

I was a little concerned when I found out that they were not a "Center of Excellence" for my insurance provider. I can still use MGH as they are in-network, but my case worker "strongly recommends" I use one of their Centers of Excellence. They are Newton Wellesley, Umass Medical Center, The Lahey Clinic, Beth Israel and Brigham & Women's. I was surprised not to see the Weight Center on that list.

Thanks in advance!

jayner
on 2/23/09 4:11 am - Littleton, MA
hi,

When I was first starting my investigation, I went to an introductory session at MGH and Emerson. My husband who has a very complicated medical history (twk kidney transplants) really pushed MGH as a world-class hospital. I found both programs interesting. I got armer, fuzzy feelings from the Emerson staff. I was surpised that MGH did not require any pre-surgical weight loss. Emerson required a 5% reduction to put your liver in better shape. The doctors at MGH said that their studies determined that a pre-surgical weight loss made no difference. I work less than a mile from MGH, but two towns from Emerson. It was a tough decision, but I made my choice based on my comfort level with the staff.

I did not look into any other programs.

Jayne

Sue M.
on 2/23/09 6:34 am - Nantucket, MA
I looked at Lowell General, Newton-Wellesley and Brigham & Women's.  I got the best feeling from the first two..and picked Newton-Wellesley because of insurance reasons.  I realized early on that while I of course wanted the best care possible, that I also wanted it to be easy to take care of myself.  Going into Boston for followup appointments and support groups would be a big chore for me, and lifelong aftercare is just as important as the surgery.  I'm thrilled with my choice of surgeon and while it's still a pain to go to an evening meeting 1-2X/month (i work 2 nights as it is), I know I'd never make it into Boston to do it. 

I recommend taking MANY things into consideration when choosing.  Besides geography and insurance I looked closely at the programs themselves.  Some places make you find a nutritionist and psych person on your own, others have in-house experts.  I wanted a well-rounded program that made it as easy as possible for me to succeed. 

I'm 3+ months out and considered sending my surgeon a Valentine I love him so damn much!

Best of luck in where ever you choose!!  Shop around and go with your gut!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Sara .
on 2/24/09 5:39 am, edited 2/24/09 5:39 am
Tufts Medical Center is also a "Center of Excellence".

http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/OurServices/ObesityTreatment/default

Pre-op: 347 High preg. wt: 331  Current:  284 
Next goal: 283 Lowest post-op: 276

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs