went in for a physical

calismom117
on 2/19/09 2:37 pm - Maynard, MA
so i finally made a first step towards getting healthy and went in for a physical with a primary care for the first time in oh 10 years... im guessing i went at about the right time because my being serverly overweight has finally caught up with me. i never did find out how much i weigh but my blood pressure is highish 132/80 my blood sugar is hanging out at 320,,, im sure the other blood test cant be good either... she gave me a referall to the weight loss clinic at emerson. i knew i had waited too long to get my health checked but i honestly had felt fine.  so maybe this is a good omen for my 30th year of life... time to get my arse in gear... since my 9 year old had her physical too and she also has a weight issue,, she 4 ft 9 inches and 150 lbs... i have noone to blame for that but myself. and well i cant see her go thru what the rest of us have in school with all the name calling and teasing... she is way too beautiful for that,,, im not sure what made me come out of my 10 year funk of a cloud, but i am glad that i am moving in the right direction.
Hi there -- I think we all have an internal clock that lets us know when things are off-base.  Good for your for going in and getting going!  I completely understand what you're saying about your daughter.  My little one was lean as a pike until going off to college where she's gained the "Freshman 15."  (She was teased for other reasons, tho - PM me if you like).   Since beginning college was the beginning of the end of my lean self, I really don't want to see her learn the hard way and even though she's older, I want to set a good example for her.

However, truth be told, I'm doing this mostly for ME!

I'd love to know who your PCP is; I also use Emerson and am considering their WL surgery program.

Hang in there -- keep posting!

jayner
on 2/19/09 10:07 pm - Littleton, MA
hi,

Will you guys be at the Emerson support group meeting on Wednesday. The talk will be about plastic surgery - not exactly the talk that would interest you at this stage, but it will probably pull in members that have had their surgery a while ago and it might be helpful to see what they have to say.

I used Dr. Shore at Emerson. She only works out of Lowell now. My PCP is Sarah Zifcak at Concord Hillside. I saw her last week - I hadn't seen her in about six months. She didn't even recognize me. I told her that my success was all due to her suggesting the surgery in the first place.

Jayne

Hi Jayne!

I'm planning on attending.  Angela (I think that's the intake staffer's name) explained that any 2 support groups count towards meeting requirements so, why not attend this one?  Hope to see you there!

How much do you like your PCP?  Mine's OK but am not sure how she'll feel about WLS.  If she's neutral or down on it, I'm out of there! :-)

Barbara
jayner
on 2/20/09 12:06 am - Littleton, MA
Barbara,

I love my PCP!!! My husband's doctor recently left the field and he switched to my doctor. She is young, personable and was the one who first brought up the idea of WLS. I dismissed the idea initially (August 2007). When my son's-in-law mother was dying from diabetes in November 2007, I got really scared and started investigating WLS. I spoke with Dr. Zifcack about it during my next diabetes checkup. She said that Emerson had a good reputation and knew the surgeons. I had my surgery in May 2008.

Jayne

calismom117
on 2/20/09 12:45 am - Maynard, MA
i have vineeta joshi at emerson as my pcp... although i have only met with her once i was very impressed with the personal care i have recieved so far. its just her and her two nurses in the office, i returned a phone call to them on tuesday morning and the dr actually answered the phone. i was shocked... but she was the one who had mentioned to me the weight loss program.. although i have been thinking about it for a while now, since my last dieting venture, i did a 1200 calorie a day diet for over a month and nothing happened.. i mean i felt alot cleaner inside my skin and hair looked awesome but no weight loss... i was even walking everyday at that point. i have tried all the other things out there but not a thing seems to break thru..

i would really like to get to a few meetings and meet with people who have actually gone thru the program and see how they feel about it... i do know that i want the lap band . i know i would lose quicker with the others but i want healthy not quicker.. plus i am just turning 30 and i would like to have more babies or atleast think that i do...
Sue M.
on 2/20/09 4:00 am - Nantucket, MA
I can't speak about Emerson...i went to Newton Wellesley, but I just wanted to let you know that you CAN have children after an RNY, and possibly other surgeries besides the band.  Depending on your BMI, lap band may not be the best choice for you. 

Once you go to some information sessions and talk with a surgeon, you will know for sure which is best for you.  Just keep an open mind.  Many people go in with one idea and come out with another.

Best of luck!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
jayner
on 2/20/09 4:01 am - Littleton, MA

I thought I wanted the lap band when I first started my investigation. When I went to two different introductory sessions and they mentioned the gastric bypass / diabetes connection, I knew that I wanted a gastric bypass. In approximately 90 percent of patients with diabetes, the idabetes goes away with the surgery. I was taking seven pills dialy for diabetes. When I left the hospital, I was taking NO diabetes medications.

Sixty Minutes did a special on this surgery. You can still see it online. Here is the link to the story. You can get to the video from that page.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/17/60minutes/main4023451.shtml

Seems we are all close to Emerson!  I've got the plastic surgery event on my calendar.  I feel like that's a long way off, however Angela mentioned that we need to attend 2 support groups related to WLS + the general info session.

I'm planning to attend and hope to meet you guys!

Barbara

PS Angela sounds great.  Am I right?
calismom117
on 2/22/09 12:56 pm - Maynard, MA
im going to the meeting on the 11th, i have never went to the information meeting yet so i guess thats a first step.. or second now lol... i just cant wait till the weather is nice and i can start walking... i hope i can meet this imfamous angela soon....

jamie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views