Losing weight pre-surgery

malonsonm
on 2/18/09 6:47 am
So my surgery is 3/16. My surgeon is Dr.Ameri at winchester hospital. Well when i had my first appointment with him in Dec they had said they would like me to try and lose 5-10 pounds. I have been really good abou****ching what I eat, but still i've actually gained 2 or so pounds. I am on insulin for type 1 diabetes, and feel i am at my wits end.  I know I will probably lose weight when i do the 2 week all liquid diet before surgery....just wondering if anyone has any tips for me not to gain any more in the next 2 weeks or so...its just frustrating dieting with nothing to show...hence the WLS...if anyone has advice/tips/ anything to make me feel better....im just worried they will think im not trying and wont want to do my surgery...i guess at this point im just a little worried about everything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Michelle
Hi -- This is my opinion/experience only.  The only way I have lost weight successfully and, until I had carbs again, gained it back has been to eat protein.  If you have two weeks, eat the Atkins or South Beach induction way. 

Atkins is much more liberal in allowing a lot of fat, and that's what makes you feel full the fastest.

I realize others may have different , better opinions but after about 2 days of eliminating all carbs but vegetables from my diet, I feel fanstastic.

I hope this helps and good luck!  I can't wait to be where you are!

rockysmom
on 2/18/09 11:12 am - Dartmouth, MA
I agree with letitbe -- Atkins or SouthBeach is usually the quickest, especially for short term weight loss.  Also, the focus on protein will get you in the "mode" you will be in for the rest of your life -- eating protein first!  If you can muster up the energy in this dreary, snowy winter we're in -- try adding some exercise.  Walking is usually the best to start with.  If it's too cold out, go to a mall and spend an hour window shopping -- (you can dream about all the great clothes you'll be able to wear next year!)  If you follow the 2 week liquid diet before surgery, I'm sure you'll lose the 5-10 pretty easily anyway.  I lost 20, and I had even cheated a little bit.

Anne-Marie
Sue M.
on 2/18/09 11:24 pm - Nantucket, MA
my most successful weight loss came when i serious reduced carbs and tracked my daily intake on thedailyplate.com .  I consistently lost every week when I food journaled and counted calories.  It also helped me see the protein and carb grams, which a little knowledge about can go a long way when it comes to choice making!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views