my nutritionist's suggestion for raging night time hunger

jayner
on 2/17/09 4:30 am - Littleton, MA

Ever since the holidays I have been having problems with night time eating. As soon as I finish dinner, I could eat another meal. This hunger goes on up until the time I go to bed. I also found out that I don't dump on sugar - I was really hoping that I did. Anyways, my weight loss has stalled. I keep losing and gaining the same four pounds. I also cut back on my exercise. Until a month ago I was using the Wii Fit 30 minutes every night. In the past month (except for the past two days) I used it four times. I did start using it again 25 to 30 minutes daily two days ago.

Yesterday I had my nine month checkup. I told my nutritionist about this problem. I expected to be chastised. Instead she came up with solutions. Since I am ravenous when I get home, she suggested having two cheese sticks at about three every afternoon. For the evening hunger she suggested adding a protein shake. I can live with these suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jayne

SilentlyWeeping623
on 2/17/09 9:37 pm - MA
Hi Jayne,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this.

I am pre-surgery, and have an issue with night time eating myself. I like those suggestions, and may take them into account to help me lose the weight I need to pre-surgery.

Can I ask, sort of off topic, how is the Wii Fit? I have been curious about it.

Thanks

SW
Silently Weeping
242/226/145/140
Dr Sunny Shah -Tufts NEMC Boston MA
RNY ~Surg Date 4/27/09

Sue M.
on 2/18/09 1:23 am - Nantucket, MA
good suggestions...I usually do have some cheese around 3 because I'll never make it to dinner time, and often when I have evening hunger I drink a glass of skim milk... my body doesn't like food later in the evening anymore, but a protein drink or a glass of milk is just the kick i need.  Hope it works for you!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Just Brooke
on 2/18/09 2:34 am
Sounds like a good idea.  I've been having sleep issues. My back has been killing me and the last week or so I've been getting up between 1-3. Of course at that point I need to pee so I HAVE to get up, but then I feel hungry because dinner was at 6 or 7. If I could just sleep through the night it would be easier! Ugh! 

ks4
on 2/18/09 4:58 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Jayne!  I have the same problem, but mines been going on since the beginning of October.  I don't dump on sugar either!  I so wish I did. 

My thing is I'm super lazy about making my own food.  I want stuff that I can just grab...like a cheese stick.  But a cheese stick isn't enough most of the time and I'm too lazy to make a protein shake or I don't have the right kind of milk or what I do have has gone bad.  I can't have regular milk...I'm slightly lactose intolerant and so I buy soy, but it's only good for so many days and I don't end up drinking it fast enough and it goes bad.

The battle is never ending.

Kendra

jayner
on 2/18/09 10:25 am - Littleton, MA

We should be able to figure this out.

Kendra, I went to the Silk soy milk website and found storage info:

http://www.silksoymilk.com/AppetiteAppeal/FreshnessTips.aspx

Do you use the shelf stable soy milk? It apparently comes in quarts, so you can keep it on the shelf and refrigerate it once you open it. When I was in the Navy and stationed overseas, I often used Parmalat - a shelf stabilized milk. It wasn't bad.

rockysmom
on 2/18/09 11:02 am - Dartmouth, MA
I've found that I do better if I don't go too long without eating.  (I hope that doesn't mean I'm grazing) I eat something (protein) about every 3 to 4 hours.  For me a snack would be something like a cheese stick, some slices of turkey, yogurt, glass of skim milk --that sort of stuff.  I eat lunch around noon, and have a snack at 3:00.  I eat supper around 6:00pm and go to bed about 11:30 -- somewhere between 8:00 and 10:00 I have something.  I don't get ravenous if I don't eat, but I feel kind of empty and weak.
jayner
on 2/18/09 8:15 pm - Littleton, MA
Anne Marie,

I think you are not grazing, but doing exactly what my nutritionist is suggesting. You figured it out yourself!

Jayne

dragonfly777
on 2/19/09 4:25 am
I have the wii fit and the wii fitness coach and I like the coach much better. I also like the wii sports better than the wii fit. 

the Fitness coash is like having a virtual personal trainer.  It has a few quirks that I am not crazy about but overall I love it and I have been doing it for a month now.
jayner
on 2/19/09 4:50 am - Littleton, MA

I love my wii fit! I was excited to see that the fitness coach was being released, but it got terrible reviews on Amazon.com and I decided not to buy it.

I do yoga and strength training most, add in running or step for aerobics, then finish out my 30 minutes with the balance games.

We bought the Wii just to get the Wii fit, though my husband has since bought a dozen Wii games - I only use the Wii Fit.

Jayne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views