Lahey v. Emerson Hospital?

Would love to hear all of  your thoughts, opinions and experiences w/ these programs?  Thanks!
jayner
on 2/12/09 10:47 pm - Littleton, MA
I went through Emerson. My surgeon, Dr. Rebecca Shore, was wonderful. She cut back her hours and no longer works at Emerson,  just at Lowell General. The Emerson office has gone through three nurse/nurse practioners in the past year. That did not please me. I love the rest of the staff.

I really like Emerson, but I loved Dr. Shore. I did not look into the Lahey program.

Jayne

antonietta23
on 2/18/09 8:11 pm - Holbrook, MA
You should look for a Center of Excellence.  Also you should go to a support group and meet others from each program.  I know when I was going thru it I looked for a doctor I felt confident in and I knew others that had him and were doing well.  I went to two different places and picked the one I felt most comfortable with. Good luck with your journey. 
lpglarry
on 2/21/09 2:57 am - leominster, MA
umass worcester or boston,looking for input,also i want to get a lapband,but it seemsu mass is pushing bypass,please help
Hi there -- I think the hospitals I'm considering:  Lahey, Emerson, Newton-Wellesley and the Brigham all offer the lapband.  I expect there's a reason surgeons advocate for the bypass procedures, though.  Oveall, their outcomes are better.

Also, I really do NOT like to do "business" with a doc.  Unfortunately, I know how the pharm/medical equipment supply chain works and some docs who stand to beneift  $$ from X number of lapband buys, etc. have a conflict of interest. 

I've decided to find the seasoned surgeon and program I trust and do what s/he recommends.  I could be that some kinds of eaters will do well w/ a lapband and others, not so well.  I'm about to find out all variables because I'm starting to attend info sessions this coming week!
AuntieKim2003
on 2/23/09 3:10 am - MA
I had my RNY at Lahey Clinic in Burlington.  The staff is what sealed the deal for me! All of them from the Surgeon (Dr. Nepomnayshy), RN's, Nutritionist, and Pychologist. They are all wonderful! They do offer an informational meeting that is held the second monday of each month at 4:30pm.

Definately check out all facilities and go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

I personally would never go to Emerson Hospital, ever! They had a patient who gave birth by c-section had contracted a flesh eating disease and they had to  remove her uterus, ovaries, Gall bladder, most of her colon, and they has to amputate all four limbs to save her life!

Read her story here:
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/02/ 10/saving_monica/?page=1

jayner
on 2/23/09 3:52 am, edited 2/23/09 3:52 am - Littleton, MA

Auntie Kim,

You are placing a lot of blame on Emerson that the article did not. The following is a paragraph from the article:

"How the bacteria that caused necrotizing fasciitis got into Monica's body is a tangle still being unraveled. But three possibilities emerged in the days that would follow: She caught it from a healthcare worker at Emerson Hospital; she caught it from another patient at the hospital; or, perhaps scariest of all, she was carrying the bug, totally unaware, when she walked in the door that morning."

Testing at Emerson found no trace of the bacteria.

I read the article before I had my surgery. My PCP had no qualms refering me to Emerson. I would go back again.

Jayne

What happened to that woman is *so* rare.  And, it could have happened anyplace.  In fact, when I was in graduate school, we read about a case where a man died from a similar virulent bacteria that was traced to foil on a packet of peanuts on an airplane!  He had a papercut that started the entire process!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views