Introduction and BIG question

MultiMom
on 2/12/09 9:08 pm - NH
Fettuccine Alfredo was one of my many pasta favorites!! I am only 3 1/2 months out from surgery, but have NO desire for it! If I were to eat that, or something else with that kind of fat content, I could very well suffer from dumping. Dumping is one of the reasons that I chose RNY. My favorite foods were fatty foods.

In the past when I dieted I would 'treat' myself to a fatty meal for every 10 pounds that I lost and never really gave up the bad eating patterns that I had lived by. I could lose the weight but couldn't keep it off. This "tool" that I have granted myself is what will help me take off the weight, keep it off and make better food decisions for life.

I fully believe that I am a dumper but don't feel the need to test it or prove it. I would rather live in fear of it forever :) I have never been a sweet eater either...... pasta, butter and fatty foods were my thing. I have come to really enjoy healthier foods!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

ks4
on 2/13/09 3:15 am - Fitchburg, MA
I'm 18 months out and I have a WICKED sweet tooth and was big into the breads, bagels and pastas.  Now, pasta doesn't agree with me.  It gets stuck everytime no matter how well I chew it and I end up with the foamies.  Breads fill me up to fast then I end up feeling ill because I have developed hypoglycemia.  Prior to surgery I had diabetes.  The diabetes is now gone, but has been replaced with hypoglycemia.  I also tested the waters with sugar and found that I can tolerate it.  I wish I never tested the waters.  I can eat sugar and I don't dump.  Not a good thing.  That could be why I've been on a stand still since October.  I also use to be a big over eater.  I can't eat a lot anymore.  Prior to surgery it was all about the quantity.  That is no longer the case.  If I eat too much, it comes right back up.

As far as side effects, like I said above I've developed hypoglycemia.  I'm still trying to figure out exactly what things trigger it for me.  I also developed an internal hernia.  That was extremely painful, but once it was determined what it was, I had surgery to correct it and I'm fine now.  I had a lot of co-morbidities prior to surgery.  Now they are all gone.  So dealing w/hypoglycemia isn't too bad in comparison to what I was dealing with prior to.  If I were put back into my old shoes, I would do this surgery again in a heart beat.  The only thing I would change is that I would never test the waters with sugar.  I wish I dumped!

I had my surgery at Newton Wellesley Hospital.  They have a fantastic bariatric program there.

Good luck on your journey!
~Kendra

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views