Post RNYr's needing revision

mipo1
on 2/9/09 12:53 am - Lowell, MA
Any other MASS people out there seeking revisions after weight regain post RNY?  My original surgery was in 1998 and was great until a while ago.  At present I'm seeking a revision at BMC
and would like to ask if others were able to get coverage from their Ins and in general how they are coping 
Magyargal
on 2/9/09 11:39 am
If you have different Health insurance then you did when you had your first WLS you should have no trouble at all..unless this one doesn't cover WLS.. Did you find out if your Health insurance company covers WLS? I have heard of other who got covered again by same company...

Did your Surgery fail you? My surgery failed me..So my insurance will pay for a revision. My pouch did not stretch out from over eating.. But my staple line came open..And I only gained 33-35 pounds back In over 17 years that is GOOD!!! .. So my PCP says the proof is in the pudding.. Meaning I did try to keep my weight down.. But I still feel like a failure! I wish you the best.. I'm sure everything will work out for you too, as you are also pretty far out...Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

mipo1
on 2/10/09 1:44 am - Lowell, MA
Dr Burch at  BMC discourages surgical revision of the RNY, he said the complication rate is around 30% !!   My Staples and pouch are normal but the spot they call the Stoma or anastamosis site where the stomach part is sewed back to the intestines that were bypassed is hugely dilated.  I think it came from an accident I was in where I had extensive chest and upper abd trauma.   Dr Burch recomends the Stomaphyx procedure and he thinks the Ins will cover it, at least he said his office would attempt to persuade the Ins to cover it.  I've heard pro and con about Stomaphyx, same as with the sclerotherapy.  It appears to be a black and white issue, it either works and works well or it does not work at all, period.  I was in a trial at Brigham and Womens called RestorE that works on the same principal as Stomaphyx and it didn't work at all.  Dr Burch explained that the approach (Endoscopic) is the same but the device used to staple back the opening is different and the material is different in the Stomaphyx.  I used to work in the OR and what he explained makes sense.  I was completely shocked though when he said the surgical RNY revision complication rate was 30%.  Have you heard that ?  I don't think I've heard much at all said about complication rates on revisions.   There is a recent post about someone being in ICU due to post revision complications but thats all I've heard   .                     
Magyargal
on 2/11/09 10:35 am, edited 2/11/09 10:36 am
Your profile says you had RNY not stomach stapling... I had VBG surgery not RNY..I do not have a pouch... I'm confused about what you are saying.. I'm sorry..The surgery you are describing to me is not what I had..

The rate is excellent for vertical banded gastroplasty patients to RNY I have read and heard from many Surgeons. I am in health care believe me I see the band for for every single patients I took of in less then 8 months.. mostly before 6 months out! Gained all their weight back they lost. Oh they lost weight very well at first too. 
          Thank you for your help.. Please feel free to explain more...Thanks again... Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views