Surgeons at NEMC? Your experiences?

michellemc0
on 2/7/09 12:47 am - bridgewater, MA
Just getting started, would love your input.
Michelle  ~~~  241/233.6/118.6/125 Starting/Surgery/Current/Goal    
   a few pounds below goal right now!

shcoswat1
on 2/7/09 6:29 am - MA
Are you talking about Tufts?  I have been very frustrated with their lack of customer service skills and follow up.  My surgery went fine but I HATE going there for follow up.  It gets my blood pressure up every time I go there.
AnnieBandie
on 2/8/09 3:38 am - Uxbridge, MA
I had the opposite experience -- I thought their program was great!  I like the team approach, everyone worked together, etc.  I stil go for my annual appts, blood work, check up,
luvinmyfour
on 2/8/09 11:19 am - haverhill, MA
I had a wonderful experience with them... I had Dr shikora and he was awesome, I have not had any bit of a bad experience with them good luck
@-(------ Michelle

Linda O.
on 2/8/09 11:08 pm - Medford, MA
Hi,

I have had a wonderful experience at Tufts. I know many people who have had weight loss surgery at other hospitals in the area and the program at Tufts is far more complete. They place a high importance on follow up care. I had Dr. Julie Kim as my surgeon. She is super. You would not be sorry to check them out.

Linda
Kathy V.
on 2/9/09 12:30 am - MA

I also had a great experience there.  I had Dr Tarnoff do my RNYand thought he was wonderful.  So there you have it........the 3 surgeons, all with a good report.  The follow-up has been good so far.  They try to get all of the appointments they can on one day so you don't have to go in there numerous times.  I didn't go thru the program there but had by surgery there.  Best of luck in your search.

.....kathy   

Sara .
on 2/9/09 3:58 am
I love everyone at Tufts. I had my surgery with Dr. Tarnoff and have been back there every 8-12 weeks (at this point...I was going back every 6 weeks or so for at least the first 6 months). I have never really had a bad experience.

Pre-op: 347 High preg. wt: 331  Current:  284 
Next goal: 283 Lowest post-op: 276

SilentlyWeeping623
on 2/18/09 5:25 am - MA
I am presurgery at Tufts-NEMC.

I wanted to respond, as you seem to have gotten both positive and not so positive feedback.

Personally, the situation I am in is a little complicated, as I am having surgery with my aunt (we're doing the whole thing together). At first, I dont think the woman we were dealing with understood that (she sheduled us with 2 different doctors, our appt.'s were overlapping....it was kinda scary). I was afraid we had gotten ourselves in over our heads.

We got in to see Dr Stiles during our very first appointments, and she was amazing. Understood just what we wanted, and why, and was able to help us out. There is a great administrative staff (I believe).  They are willing and able to help with any questions my aunt and I have had, no matter how silly....I even asked them about the BCBS insurance issue, and they were able to point me in the right direction and tell me what questions to ask. (Thank Heavens that was resolved)....

I have Dr Shah as my surgeon, and I am set to go on 4/27/09.

Regardless, make sure you pick the program that is right for you. Not every program is the same, and not every program is right for everyone. :-)  ~I wish you luck on your journey.

Nekton -- Could you tell me a little bit more about your aftercare? I have a sheet that kind of outlines post surgery appointments, and I know everyone is different, but I'd love to hear about your personal experience, if you dont mind?

SW
Silently Weeping
242/226/145/140
Dr Sunny Shah -Tufts NEMC Boston MA
RNY ~Surg Date 4/27/09

Sara .
on 2/24/09 5:57 am
Sure, no problem.

First of all, here's the timing of my four fills:
11/28/07 - Fill #1 (1cc, so now 1cc in 4cc band)
1/9/08 - Fill #2 (0.5cc, so now 1.5cc in 4cc band)
3/12/08 - Fill #3 (0.5cc, so now 2cc in 4cc band)
5/28/08 - Fill #4 (0.25cc, so now 2.25cc in 4cc band)

I had a 2-week checkup with the surgeon and PA right after surgery, and then saw them roughly every 6 weeks or so. Now I see the PA about every 8-12 weeks. If I need a fill, I would bump that up, obviously.

I *was* seeing the exercise physiologist every 8 weeks, but he doesn't work there anymore. (I am super sad about that...going to the gym with him was one of my favorite appointments.)

I saw the nutritionist every 6 weeks or so, and now see her every 12 weeks.

I was apparently more aggressive with visits to the various doctors than most people - I know some people at Tufts rarely saw the exercise physiologist, for example.

I also go to a monthly post-op Lap Band support group.

Pre-op: 347 High preg. wt: 331  Current:  284 
Next goal: 283 Lowest post-op: 276

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views