March 16th 2009

malonsonm
on 2/4/09 10:28 pm
I am new to this forum, but I am on my way to gastric bypass surgery. I have had all my pre op appointments, and my surgery date (fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong) is March 16th, 2009. I am starting to get anxious, but it is more of an excited anxious. I am really glad I found a place that I feel comfortable sharing with other people in the same place as me, and people who i can look to for advice. My surgeon requires a 2 week all liquid protein drink diet pre op ( i have heard not all surgeons do this). So my date to start this as long as everyhtin continues smoothly is March 2nd...less than a month! Its going to be hard, but I'd be willing to do a protein shake diet for as long as I had to, I have worked so hard to get to this point, and even though I have made some mistakes in my life and have had some probelms through no fault of my own, I am actually proud of myself for taking the steps to change my life. I am really excited, would love to hear from anyone especially people around 1-2 months post op, since I will hopefully be there soon.

Michelle
Kathy V.
on 2/4/09 11:01 pm - MA

Welcome !!!!    Best of luck-it is a fun ride.

.....kathy   

Sue M.
on 2/5/09 2:57 am - Nantucket, MA
Hi Michelle! 

Welcome!  You will hear from people 3 days out to many years out on our boards - and it's a big help.  I signed on in March, had surgery in November and felt VERY prepared!!!  Never be afraid to ask questions... we all have, we all will again.  I am proud of you for making the hard decision to dream of a life different than it has been.

I will be 3 months out next week and I am thrilled to death with my surgery.

Sue
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
rockysmom
on 2/5/09 7:59 am - Dartmouth, MA
Welcome -- you will find this board to be very supportive.  Ask all the questions you like!  I think all the surgeons require some sort of pre-op diet.  The purpose is to shrink the liver and give the surgeon room to work.  I was all for making the job as easy as possible for my surgeon(lol)!  My pre-op diet was 3 daily protein drinks and one small balanced meal.  I really didn't find if too difficult, because it was only for three weeks, and I understood how important it was.  The first couple of months are tough -- not so much because of pain, just the adjustment and insecurity.  You really have to learn how to eat with your new insides.  Everyone is different, but we all find that it gets easier as you go along  --  and the results are fantastic!

Best wishes,
Anne-Marie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views