Thrift/consignment shops? (north/west of Boston)

MelissaJane
on 1/30/09 9:58 pm - near Boston, MA
Hi Massachusetters - well, it's finally happening, after 100 pounds or so, I'm starting to run out of clothes! (I swear, I am going to be SO HAPPY to someday only have clothes that actually FIT ME NOW, instead of crates and crates of stuff too small or big!)  I don't want to spend much money, and I'm also thinking I'd like to get rid of stuff in a way that's easier than eBay. 

So, I have some questions: can anyone recommend thrift/consignment shops? I live in Melrose, fwiw.  So far I've found some stuff at the Salvation Army on route 1 but that's about it.  I checked out a place in Winchester yesterday but they had virtually nothing bigger than a 16 (grrrrr).  I'm still, like, a 22 or so, so I need a place that has plus size stuff.  And I'd like to sell some 22, 24, 28 stuff. 

Thanks, if you can help!!!
Melissa 
 HW~332   SW~306  CW~160    
DS August 2008 
dragonfly777
on 1/31/09 1:57 am
I buy clothes at kohls and burlington coat factory. the prices right now are so good that its hard to pass up $10 pants that are new!
Just Brooke
on 1/31/09 3:57 am
Right now the Salvation Army and I are best of friends! The closest one to me is in NH but it's awesome. I get jeans for a buck all the time and within months I'm donating them all over again. I always get lucky and find stuff with original tags too. Right now my entire dresser is filled with Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Gap, and more .....and I paid maybe 20 bucks for everything. It takes time sifting through the junk but I've never walked out empty handed!

I don't know of any other adult consignment shops in this area but good luck! 

Sue M.
on 2/1/09 12:58 am - Nantucket, MA
there is a st. vincent de paul thrift store on merrimack street in lowell, ma that had some plus sizes.  i didn't get a good look, but they seemed to have a good selection of all sizes.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
NeedhamGal
on 2/1/09 6:27 am - MA
Hi..a little drive but I know they have inventory.  There is a consignment shop down town needed. They have a fancy smancy boutique, then regular clothes, then the last chance store.  I was in there last week and they did have a big rack of plus sized clothes.  The prices were either 50 or 70 % of the ticket price. 
I think if you  make a new post listing what size you need here you also might get some people to pony up their former clothes.
Good luck.
Joan
CloudTree
on 2/3/09 1:07 pm - Gloucester, MA

In Danvers, just off of Rte 128, there is a plaza with a Market Basket in it. In that plaza there is a great second hand store run by and for the Big Brother Big Sister organization. I've gotten some terrific buys there, including a London Fog winter coat for $16.

To my knowledge, they take donations but not consignment.

mira
on 2/4/09 11:52 am - North, MA
Hi,
It may be a bit far, but Marblehead has several very good stores on Pleasant street.
Mira
Size 8

bvom
on 2/7/09 12:58 pm - CT
There's a Salvation Army store with a pretty large clothes selection on 38 in Wilmington.  It's not far from the intersestion of 129/38.

There's also a small shop in Reading in the parking lot behind Atlantic (Haven St).  It's a little hole in the wall and I'm not sure if they even have much of a selection but it's worth looking.
mommygarvey
on 2/10/09 11:02 pm
St Vincent De Paul Thrift

444 Franklin St
Framingham, MA 01702
(508) 879-7873

here is the address for one in framingham, ma.....they always seem to have a good selection and i have donated lots of plus size stuff there my self.  They dont buy old stuff unfortunately. 
There is a place called Penny Lane on the cape that does schedule appts for buying clothes. They usually have plus size racks with a good selection as well.

Penny Lane Consignment
331 cotuit rd
Sandwich, ma 02563

Hope this all helps.....
laurie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost