Brigham & Women's Pre-Op and Coffee

ElleTee
on 1/24/09 1:43 am
Hey all.  I'm furiously planning for the start of my official two week pre-op diet on Monday

Does anyone know if I can/should have coffee if it's sugar-free, fat-free during those two weeks.  I know I can't for a while after surgery.

I'm willing to give it up if I need to but not anxious, KWIM?  I can contact my NUT on Monday but looking at my plan it's not clear to me.

Thanks for any advice!!

Lara
M M
on 1/24/09 11:53 am
Yep.

Bottoms up. 
ElleTee
on 1/24/09 10:34 pm
Thanks MM! 

Lara
NeedhamGal
on 1/25/09 7:41 am - MA
HI..it's kind of a double edged sword.   I found both times I really needed my coffee to get me through, but afterward I do think I had some tiredness..withdrawl that was coffee related.
Maybee you can try to go half and half on the caffeine..to lessen the effects of the caffeine withdrawl.   They do permit coffee preop, and post op they permit it...but it is maybee 6-8 weeks out...it is in that 30 page handout your nutritionist gives you.
Good luck with the preop.   I found day 3 to be the hardest!!

Joan
sandra267
on 1/25/09 11:07 am - hyde park, MA
I think it is the caffine in the coffee. Did you get the preop diet book?   I did not have coffee before but I do have it now. 

ElleTee
on 1/25/09 10:34 pm
Thanks everyone!  I've definitely cut back on coffee but having that small cup in the morning is a real comfort.  

I like the half and half idea, Joan.

I do know I'll have to go cold turkey, and I  see in my material where I can have one cup a day post-op again.

I am stronger than my caffeine addiction! 

Now I'm getting worried about my pre-op appointment Thursday because of this darn snowstorm that's coming up Wednesday!  Enough with this winter already! 

Lara
Magyargal
on 1/28/09 11:03 am
My friend had the same surgeon you have. She told me NO REG COFFEE during pre op and after surgery too.. Decaf was allowed.. Now she had her surgery last year..Call and ask.. Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

brendastewart
on 1/30/09 12:28 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Lara,

I started my 2 week liquid on Monday also and was told DECAF only.  I started back on Jan. 5th doing half Calf and half decalf and then went cold turkey this past Monday.

How's your week going?  I'm doing ok.  Some days are tougher than others, but I haven't cheated so, so far so good.

I got on the scale Monday morning before I started it and today I got on and was down 10 Lbs.  Holy Crap!!

Hope you are doing well with it.
Brenda

Highest Weight   253.2  /  SW 230 /  CW 153.6  /  Goal  150  /  Height 5'  5 1/2"
Surgery Date:  February 9, 2009

(deactivated member)
on 2/5/09 9:24 am - east falmouth, MA
I would wean down to decaf as much as you can just so you don't get headaches after the surgery... Do what you can now to keep the recovery easier.  
the pre op weight loss is great...It went faster for me than the post op...but i don't even want to think about why the heck that is the case...

Best of luck!   You will love the Brigham...top notch staff all the way!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views