Your personal experience with Aetna at MA hospitals? and, a timeline question?

michellemc0
on 1/13/09 3:04 am - bridgewater, MA
I am just beginning my journey and have heard quite a few rumblings about Aetna as being "bad" for WL surgery.  Our insurance JUST changed over Jan. 1 (used to be Cigna)

I have a BMI of 41 and no comorbidities.  My physician suggested Lap Banding but I will listen to all options when I go to the different info sessions.

Other than the specific Aetna questions, I was wondering what people's timelines have been from first making the decision for weight loss surgery, until 'the big day'.

Thanks in advance, you have all been so helpful already.
Michelle
purplefans
on 1/13/09 6:22 am - MA
Can't help you with Aetna.  I have UHC/HPHC.   I started the journey in April, and had my surgery in Augst.  No comorbities, bmi 40.  Just sleep apnea (minor).   I spoke to a few doctors, which is the right thing for you to do.    I didn't find this site until June.   I did have a mentor beginning in April with whom I corresponded almost daily with questions, etc.  That was a big big help.  She went to Umass in Worcester, I went to NWH in Newton.

Best luck with your journey!

jereyes
on 1/18/09 4:02 am - Tyngsboro, MA
At the time of my WLS I had Aetna for insurance.  The surgeon that I went to knew Aetna would always try to deny the claim.  I had to follow a mdically 6 month supervised diet.  I met with the surgeon about 6 times as well as the nutritionist.  I met with the Psycologist 3 times.  With all this extra things done over and beyond what was required by the insurance I was appoved the  first time.  My BMI was 42 and I had high cholesterol.  I met the surgeon in July 04 and I had surgery November 2005.  The process was long but well worth it.  I had no program fees all I had wa my copayments and the surgery and hopital stay was fully covered by Aetna.  Good luck on your journey,
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views