MA General, Dr. Austen, Plastic Surgeon??

DeniseV
on 1/10/09 7:28 am - NH

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with plastic surgeon, Dr. William Austen? He is the Chief of Plastic Surgery at Mass General Hospital in Boston. He replaced Dr. May, who was the Chief prior to him.

I am scheduled for surgery (WOOHOO!) on Feb.2nd and would love to hear personal stories, experiences, etc from you! PLease share any info you have!

I am having a lower body lift (beltlipectomy) and a medial thigh lift (inner thighs). I am so excited and nervous, of course!

Even if you didn;t have Dr. Austen, did you have these procedures? How was your turn out? Any tips or suggestions? Anything I should definitely know?

I have researched like crazy of course, but I find the best research is right here, from this site from patients.

I am almost 5 years post op and have maintained my loss for the entire time. I currently weigh 109 lbs which is actually lower than my goal, but I fluctuate between 108-114 lbs. I feel I am ready for this step (plastics) and would love to hear from you! I know MA General is one of teh best hospitals in the world, so this is reassuring. I am excited and nervous....

Please post back! Any experiences or advice is gladly welcomed!!!

Hugs,
Denise

Rachel O.
on 1/12/09 3:19 am - MA
Hi Denise,

Congratulations on your success! 

I haven't had PS (yet), so I have no info to offer.  Just wanted to say - Good luck!  I hope all goes well.  You are right about Mass General - they are one of the best hospitals.

Keep us updated on the surgery and the outcome!

Rachel
DeniseV
on 1/14/09 1:59 am - NH
Thanks, Rachel! I will definitely keep you posted. Keep me in your thoughts...I am excited but scared to death!

Hugs,
Denise
YvonneLMH
on 1/17/09 9:44 am - Melrose, MA
Hi Denise,
I had PS done with Dr Austen - I think he usually goes by Jay - in  Jan 08.  I had my upper arms and what we referred to as an extended tummy tuck.  All of my  lower stomach skin removed and and my midriff tightened.  I would have my thighs and butt done too if I had the money, but my arms and stomach area are what bothered me the most so I had them done!  He removed 10 pounds of skin.  My operation took about 8 hours - he didn't anticipate it was going to be that long. No complications - it just took longer.    It was okay though because the nurses kept my husband updated on everything that was going on.

I think Dr Austen is just great.  I'm sure you know by now the office wait can be long to see him but it is much much faster post op.

I had wonderful care on the inpatient floor I stayed on that night. The floor that you will stay on has wonderful nurses.   I had a very hard time moving around the next day because i felt sick - they said it was because because of the morphine.   The more I moved around the better I felt.   I don't remember if I had this same issue with my gastric bypass.  My gastric bypass was in Jan 06.

I was back in the gym three weeks later as soon as I had my drains removed.  I had 6 of them.
I was doing the treadmill and elliptical.  I started Pilates and spin class about 6-8 weeks after when I was cleared by Dr Austen. 

My scars on my stomach area are almost invisible, the ones on my arms are that dark pink color that scars get right before they get lighter.

I thought the recuperation for plastics was harder than my gastric bypass at first, mostly because I couldn't lift anything and I couldn't use my arms to boost myself up like I did when I had my RNY. I was glad I had been working out prior to my surgery because I felt that helped me recuprate faster.

Anything else specific? 

Hope I helped.
Yvonne

DeniseV
on 1/17/09 12:27 pm, edited 1/17/09 12:32 pm - NH
Hi Yvonne!!

What a small world we live in.....you are from Melrose. I used to live in Melrose!! I was born there, went to school there, and moved to NH when I was 15 years old. Image if we knew one another??? I lived on West Wyoming Ave before moving to NH. We lived in a few different apartments in Melrose; one on Tremont Street, one on Florence Street and one on Baxter Street. I still have a friend that I talk to now and then who lives there. I had so many friends who I lost touch with.....I loved Melrose. It's such a nice town! 

Thank you SO MUCH for replying!!!! I was so excited to see a post from someone who had Dr. Austen!!! This made my day!

I am thrilled to hear that your scarring was minimal. I got the impression that he would take care of this well; he seems the type to take great care of ensuring scars are minimal and slight. I don't know why I got this impression, but I did! He appears to be a bit of a perfectionist which I like, and I also like his honest approach. He certainly was frank and upfront about the fact that scars could be unsightly, I could develop various complications, etc, and I liked that he didn't sugar coat anything.

May I ask...how long were you out of work? I am a manager at a group home for a human service agency. It is a desk job, but I do a lot of driving, there is some lifting occasionally, etc....It is  mainly desk work but with other things mixed in.

Also, you said you had your midriff tightened. What exactly did this entail? I am wondering if this is similiar to one of the procedures I will be having. While I am having a lower body lift, he will be doing a vertical cut, up from my belly button, to get rid of the loose skin and stretch marks that I have above the navel, as the lower body lift will only address the skin from the navel down. Is this what you had?

Also, you said you had 6 drains....this is what I believe I will have. How was it having them for three weeks?? Was it unbearable? I am afraid I will get them caught on something or they will fill up will so much blood that I won't know what to do! LOL! 

How long did it take for your scars to get so light?

And lastly, (for now...do you mind if I send more questions to you as I think of them?) do you have any recommnedations from your experience, anything I should do or ask for specifically?

Okay, I lied...I have more questions! LOL.... You said the nurses on your floor were great. Were you on the third floor? That is where I need to go. I believe they said room 309 or something....it is the day surgery center? I have it written down in my surgery folder which is not in front of me right now.....I hope I have great nurses like you had! They make such a difference!

Did they give you "calm down" medications before you went into the OR, while you were in the pre-op area? I will ******vous wreck and I want to have these medications. With my gastric bypass, the nurses gave me a shot in my IV for my nerves as often as I needed....I really hope they do the same here. I hate being nervous and I know that I will be...I cry and feel panicky. Did they give you meds? Did you feel like you had to keep asking for medications or were they offered to you? I hate feeling as though I need to keep asking for things in a hospital; I much prefer being offered things. If I am not offered, I will definitely ask but I hope they really make sure I am comfortable before surgery. I want to be awake, I just want to feel relaxed and calm. I don't remember what they gave me in my IV before gastric bypass, but the nurse gave me a few shots as I was waiting to go into the OR......I hope they do the same. I can not imagine waiting there, thinking like crazy and worrying my head off. I will have a panic attack for sure. I really don;t want that to happen. Please tell me they offered you medication before your actual surgery!!

When you were discharged what was your pain like? Did the medication they give you to take at home work well for you? What did they prescribe you? Did you feel as though it was sufficient? Did you have to get refills or was one perscription enough? How long were you on meds for pain after the surgery?

Do you mind if I ask your age? I hate to be nosey like that but I am just curious.....you can send me a private message if you prfer or you could totally ignore that question! LOL!!

Thank you so much for your response and I hope to hear from you, Yvonne. Do you have pics of yourself now, after the surgery and from before? I wou;d love to see them!!!!

Oh, did he do any lipo at all? I don't need it, but if I appear "bumpy" from the surgeries, will he do contouring to even things out?

Did you have a lot of pain right when you woke up? Would you say your arms or tummy area hurt more? I wonder if my thighs or LBL will be more painful? I am getting mixed feedback on this.

It's crazy but I always forget my questions when I meet with him and then think of all of these later!

Hugs and please write soon!!!  Thank you SO MUCH.

Denise
*Lap RNY on 8/11/04
**Highest/day of surgery/current**
       268 lbs/ 232 lbs / 109 lbs! 
Plastics (Belt-lipectomy (LBL) and Medial Thigh Lift scheduled for 2/2/09.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views