soreness

Susan M.
on 1/4/09 11:52 am - MA
Hey all,

Just wondering how long the soreness lasts.  I am still having pain around the bigger incision. The pain is in the inside not on the outside (if that makes sense).  I'm just wondering when to go back to work. The Dr said I could go back Wed but I don't feel like I could sit all day.  I have desk job.  After sitting at my computer at home I'm really sore. 
How long did you take from work?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
sue
Sue M.
on 1/5/09 12:33 am - Nantucket, MA
I would talk to your surgeon about your pain... are you still on meds?  I didn't take any after I left the hospital really, so I'm not sure what it could be.

I took 6 weeks off from my surgery, which put me back to work on 12/25, right when we shut down until today, so I got about 8 weeks off, which so far is working out well.  I think I've got the right amount of energy to get through the day.

Again.... call your surgeon and report the pain.  They should be able to help you identify the source and move on from there.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
ks4
on 1/5/09 2:46 am - Fitchburg, MA
Call your surgeon ASAP!  I went back to work right away.  In hind sight I should have taken a week off due to the fact that I was exhausted, but I never had any pain.  Left the hospital with no pain meds.

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/09 8:43 am - east falmouth, MA
I was sore for about a month and still feel the larger incision area a bit...But it is not really pain...
I needed the occassional nap for the first month and the energy level was all over the place for 6 weeks.. ( i am 52..and pretty active in general)
How flexable is your Boss...Could you do 3/4 time for a while?  You will know once you get back in the swing how you can handle it...but be sure you give yourself a break..you are still healing for 6 weeks. 
whatever you do be sure to take walking and stretching breaks as much as you can.... best of luck!
rockysmom
on 1/5/09 9:41 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hi,
There is pain and there is pain!  I still had soreness after a month, and mine was also on the inside.  If you had lap surgery  (as I did), that would make sense, because on the outside, it's basically just a poke --  the inside is where all the cutting and rearranging happened.  My pain was primarily on my left side; that was also the spot that took the longest to heal, and left a bit of a scar.  Someone told me that's where the camera goes in, (but I have no idea if that's the case or not.)  If you don't feel you could sit all day, take another week off if you can.  I went back to work at 4 weeks and did fine.  I was really exhausted at the end of each day for quite a while -- and my work involved nothing more strenuous than sitting at my desk and walking over to the ladies room (gotta drink the water!!)  It is normal to be sore for a while -- some people have no pain, and don't even take their pain meds.  I did feel sore enough to take the pain medication for about a month.  Nothing wrong - no complications - I guess I just don't like pain!  The bottom line to this is, everyone is different, and everyone's surgery is different. If the pain is bad enough to worry you, don't be afraid to call your Doctor.  My Doctor told me it takes about 6 months to recover and get back to the new normal.
Best Wishes,
Anne-Marie
PS - also - the soreness should be getting better (even if slowly)  -- if you start to feel worse, you should definitely call your Doctor
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views