Hospitals in MA that offer Lap Band? Your experiences, please...

michellemc0
on 1/1/09 11:43 pm - bridgewater, MA
Hi all,
So, I am going to try to get approved for Lap Band.  I have messaged earlier re: my BMI; after the holidays it is 41.  My primary care doctor has already said he would refer me.

The problem, the closest hospital to me that does Lap Band is Norwood and they don't take my new insurance, Aetna.  I live in SE Mass and I'm worried about making all the appointments, etc in Boston (I have 3 kids under 6).  OF COURSE I will make arrangements if I have to go to Boston, but I need to get a list together of WHICH hospitals do it and then go to info sessions and take it from there.

You seem like a great group and HOPEFULLY (please LORD) I'll be getting to know you a lot better in 2009.  I'm hoping against hope that THIS is THE YEAR!

Gratefully,
Michelle
rockysmom
on 1/2/09 2:06 am - Dartmouth, MA
If you have to go to Boston, you might consider RNY instead of LapBand --  you don't have to go as often for appointments.  I think it was 2 weeks after surgery for 1st appointment, then every 3 months for the first year - once a year after that.  I live in Dartmouth, and had my surgery at Brigham & Women's.  It's working out fine.
ceecee53
on 1/23/09 1:18 am - Boston, MA
Hi Rockysmom,
Are you happy with your RNY?   I presently have the lapband, but haven't lost to much weight (20 pounds).  Dr Lautz is my doctor also and he going to remove the lapband and do the RNY.  Dr; Lautz suggested this before, but I was scare.  Any info you can give would be helpful. My surgery is scheduled in April. 
rockysmom
on 1/25/09 8:37 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hi Ceecee,
I LOVE my RNY!  I have lost 88 pounds since my surgery on April 1st of lst year.  I personally think the RNY is the better option -- that's just a personal opinion.  My surgery went very smoothly - no complications at all.  The pain was minimal and easily controlled with the pain medicine.  I was able to go back to work after 3 weeks.  You are up and walking around the next day after surgery.  I think the hardest part is eating, drinking water and taking vitamins for the first few months.  It is hard to get your water and protein in at first, because you literally cannot eat much.  Sometimes I worried that I would never be able to eat normally again, and would waste away into nothing!  Needless to say, that's not the case.  As time goes on, you can tolerate more food, and eating becomes more of a normal thing.  With the RNY, you also get the benefit of the malapsorption -- so you WILL lose weight.  I have had no gallstones, no dumping, no strictures -- none of the stuff you read about!  Of course everyone's different, and some people do have problems, but most do just fine!  Since you have Dr. Lautz, I'm sure you already know that he is a really excellent surgeon, and is expert in handling complications and revisions.  You are in good hands.  I'm glad to answer any questions you have ( I love to talk about my surgery! ).  Have you gone to the support group at Brigham & Womens?  It's usually pretty good.  It helped me a lot  - especially just before the surgery, when I was feeling very scared.  It's reassuring to see people in person that have been through it.  I particularly remember that the month before I had my surgery, there was a woman at the group, that had had it the week before!   And she was already out, drinking her water, and telling us that she felt great!  That did a lot to calm my fears. 
Best wishes.
Anne-Marie
ceecee53
on 2/25/09 4:16 am - Boston, MA
ceecee53
on 1/23/09 1:22 am - Boston, MA

Hi,
Are you happy with your RNY.  Dr Lautz is my doctor also and he's going to switch me from the lapband to the RNY.  Any info you can share would be helpful.  Thanks!

Michelle,
I live in Middleboro, and had my RNY at Brigham & Women's, in Boston. I know its a haul, but I do know that my surgeon, Dr. David Lautz, and others at at BWH do Lap-band as well. 

I know a woman who had surgery at Tobey Hospital in Wareham, but I'm unsure as to whether it was RNY or Lap-band. Although she was happy with Tobey, I haven't heard particularly good things about it. I usually hear things like, "I wouldn't take my dog to Tobey." and the like.

Although it is a hassle getting to and from my appts. sometimes in Boston, I think it was worth it because if anything were to have gone wrong, I know I was in good hands. That being said, I did have some issues with BWH, but it was more due to shared rooms in the hospital and all that room mates bring to the table, than actual care concerns. Check out the hospital review section of this website.

Good luck to you,
Squidsmom
rockysmom
on 1/2/09 8:15 am - Dartmouth, MA
I forgot about Tobey.  Actually, I've heard good things about the WLS program there. (Don't know about otherwise).  They definitely do the LapBand there.
purplefans
on 1/2/09 8:01 am - MA
Michelle,

I know it's not close to you, but MetroWest (Leonard Morse) in Natick, does lapband - Dr. Randall and another Dr.    Dr. Randall also does another hospital (I forget the name).

I did Newton Wellesley, but they do not do lapbands.

Best of luck in your search!

luvinmyfour
on 1/2/09 8:40 am - haverhill, MA
Tufts Medical Center does it because I was looking into the band for 2 years but after my last pregnancy I decided to go woth the rny it was better for me but Tufts does lap band and they were pretty good about scheduling all appointments on 1 day so I wasnt going every day
@-(------ Michelle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views