RNY 12/8/08- when will I start losing weight?

LornaDoone
on 12/20/08 3:31 pm - Woburn, MA
I am on full liquids right now, and will be for another 3 weeks (2 weeks liquids pre-op, 4 weeks liquids post-op, then weeks 5-8 start incorporating pureed foods, etc.  Seems like forever!  I thought that after being on liquids for this long I would have lost a ton of weight (I lost 18 pounds in the 2 months before surgery) but I get on scale everyday & it's not moving- maybe 5 pounds since 12/8... is this normal???
jayner
on 12/20/08 10:51 pm - Littleton, MA
LornaDoone,

It will come. Stop getting on the scale!!!!! Have someone take your measurements once a month - it is so much rewarding to see where you are losing weight. Everyone is different. They pump you full of fluids in the hospital, then there typically is a stall a couple of weeks out. Your body has gone through a major shock - give yourself time to heal and follow your doctor's plan.

good luck,

Jayne

LornaDoone
on 12/21/08 12:33 pm - Woburn, MA
Thanks Jayne,

I thought maybe this surgery wasn't working for me... I thought the "surgery fluids" would be gone by now.  I will follow your advice, as you make a good point- not to get on the scale every day!  Do you go to the Emerson Hospital support groups?  Although my "groups" are in Winchester, I have also gone to some in Concord, as Dr. Shore was going to be my surgeon originally- now I hear that she is no longer doing WLS?  She is a sweetheart... Again, thanks for your advice!

LD
nicunicu2002
on 12/21/08 11:33 pm - Sharon, MA
Lorna...

the best piece of advice i can give you is to get off the scales.  only weigh once a week and you will see a difference.  i drove myself nuts weighing everyday, sometimes twice a day, and now its routine to weigh every monday.  take your measurements and re-measure once a month as well..you will see the inches falling off.  hang in there, everything is perfectly normal.

kim

Kathy V.
on 12/22/08 7:15 am - MA
I too was wondering the same thing.  I had my RNY 12/1 and have lost 20 lbs.  I thought it would be more.  AND THEN, last Friday I gained 4 lbs.  How does that happen?????  I haven't/can't cheat.  I guess I need to follow everyone's advice and stay off the scale.

.....kathy   

rockysmom
on 12/23/08 11:39 am - Dartmouth, MA
Seems like just about all of us go through this the first two months!  Don't worry, somewhere around four months, the weight WILL start melting off!  It is the fluids they give you and the recovery time your body takes before the weight loss really gets going.
(deactivated member)
on 12/25/08 11:11 am - Togo

on the fifth day after i had the rny, while i was still in the hospital, i weighed myself and was devastated to find i had gained 3 pounds. gained after wls.

i found out later it was not unusual because there is swelling after wls.

those first 2-3 months i had problems but they all go away and the weight loss picks up and drops off. at the end of two years i had lost 130 pounds and was having abdominoplasty. my stomach that had been sticking waaaaaay out in front of me was flat as a board.

wls does work. i think you just off to a difficult start but it will get better. and it will work. rny is considered the 'gold' standard of wls. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views