Protein bar rant.

M M
on 12/19/08 10:10 am
Advanced Health Products Protein Bars, AKA...or AKA...

This is a somewhat confusing product review, because this line of bars is found under many different names at many different sites and stores.  They are all made by one manufacturer:   "Robard."  (Before I go further, let me state that this company also makes bariatric foods as well for a "very low calorie diet," and the *bars in this category are sold alongside the bars in THIS review.  *also contain sugar*  HAVE I CONFUSED YOU YET?!)

Picture 9

What is even more confusing to the typical weight loss surgery patient, is that these bars are marketed at the sites and shops as bariatric-friendly eats.  Some sites are WLS SITES.  So you really MUST PAY ATTENTION - do not assume that all products touted are appropriate and know YOUR PERSONAL LIMITS.

These are Diet Candy Bars.  I had a variety pack of the 'protein supplements-bars' which contain 10 grams of protein each.  I nearly wigged out because I could not find the nutrition stats on the individually wrapped bars, then I realized it was printed on the inside of the box.  I opened the box up and got quite a unpleasant surprise.

"This is weight loss surgery friendly?!" 

Perhaps I was misinformed or confused - but - seeing as these bars are resold in so many WLS-targeted locations - they had to be "pouch-worthy."

Picture 7
Did you catch that?

Yeah.  Not so Bariatric Friendly.  Look at these ingredients that your surgeon and nutritionist surely asked you to eat:   "Sugar, Invert Sugar, Corn Syrup, Fractionated and Partially Hydrogenated Oils..."

If you are very freshly post op roux en y - they will make you puke.  Someone like me - about five years out - I can eat nearly all of most of the varieties - just have to be aware of the likelihood of dumping and reactive hypoglycemia if I ate the little bar in one shot.  It would be difficult NOT to, they are very small.

Now, that said, I tasted several to be fair because I have readers who are not WLS'ers.  If you are in the market for a diet candy bar - the Chocolate Mint was tasty and I ate the whole thing.  Texturally, they are very dry and pasty, but this had a nice minty deep chocolate flavor full of real sugar.  LOL. 

• The Double Chocolate - edible, dry, pasty, sweet. 
  • The Cookie Dough - INEDIBLE.

That's where I stopped.  I have a couple more in my 'review' drawer in the kitchen.

"Advanced Health Systems (AHS) is designed as a clinician, dietitian-directed Low Calorie Diet (1000-1200 kcal/day) with a primary emphasis on nutrition and low-fat eating. It’s designed for individuals with over 15 lbs to lose (BMI >20)."
  • Product - AHS Protein Supplement Bars.
  • Price - $8-9.99 a box
  • Via - Samples via distributor, privately labeled.
  • Pros - Diet Candy!  Sugar High!  150 calories.  10 grams of protein.
  • Cons - Not tasty enough to pawn off on kids.  12-14+ grams of sugar and corn syrup in every bar.   Not filling.  Causes serious blood sugar spike and crash.  What's the point?
  • Rating - NON POUCH-WORTHY.  MM

MultiMom
on 12/19/08 10:45 pm - NH
Thanks for all your helpful posts!!! I have never seen "TOTAL CHO" and "AVAIL CHO" on nutritional labels before. What are they? And... why aren't the sugars shown on the nutritional label? hummmmm.....

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

M M
on 12/19/08 10:56 pm
CHO is carbohydrate.

These bars are meant for low cal diets - not necessarily WLS diets - which is why I was so irrritated.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views