Okay, I got that wrong--I AM 40 BMI, but they (Aetna) require 2 morbidities

michellemc0
on 12/19/08 1:37 am - bridgewater, MA
Thanks to all who answered my previous post.  I went to the info session and was told minimum BMI of 40.  I am 5 ft 4 in and 235 so I am 40.9.  Sorry for the misinfo in the previous post, I'm just so
stressed about all of this.

At the info session I was told that even with my BMI my insurance carrier (Aetna) will require two co-morbidities.  I have none.  I had been under the impression that with a BMI of 40+ there would be no co-morbidity requirement.  I called Aetna and just off the cuff the member services rep said "Yeah, under your current situation you would not qualify."

For those who paid on their own, what was the cost (range is fine).  I REALLY want this.  I want to have my energy back and be here for my kids.

Anyone go through a similar situation?
Thanks (again) in advance,
Michelle
MultiMom
on 12/19/08 3:37 am - NH
Have you been checked for sleep apena? How about arthritis? (I am not sure if that is considered a co-morbidity). I would check with the Bariatric Center and work with them to see if anything comes up that might get you covered by insurance. I don't know the cost otherwise, but know it isn't cheap.... 15K +

Good luck,
Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

HIGHLANDERTHAL
on 12/19/08 4:04 am - MA
I just had mine and the hospital bill was 27000, and the doctor bills were 5000,thankfully I had insurance, but it aint cheap.
NeedhamGal
on 12/19/08 5:59 am - MA
Urinary incontinence?  headaches/migranes?
antonietta23
on 12/19/08 7:32 pm - Holbrook, MA
I had no co morbities.   I went for a sleep study and had sleep apnea, and I had knee and joint pain,   I agree talk to doctor ; They are experienced at this. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 9:34 pm - east falmouth, MA
Have you seen a surgeon yet?   They will check you for cholesterol, sleep issues and a whle bunch of other stuff...Taking any medications? Because that is usually cause for a co- morbidity.... 
I thought my only one was cholesterol...turmed out that after testing i got sleep apnea, high blood pressure,  depression, and athritis..( in the medical terms which i cannot pronounce..)
At my first surgeons visit the PA gave me my chances of approval which was very comforting information...
Get a PCP referral and make a sureons appointment to get started...I think you can do that even without full surgery approval...then getting it is on the doctors and they know their way around it better than we do... But don't give up if you really want this...
jayner
on 12/22/08 9:58 pm - Littleton, MA
hi,

I found this link under the insurance forum:

http://www.aetna.com/cpb/medical/data/100_199/0157.html

I hope it will help.

Jayne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary