Per info session, must be 40+ BMI for Lap Band????

michellemc0
on 12/18/08 10:42 pm - bridgewater, MA
Hi all,
After researching for quite a while I went to an info session at a local hospital and was told I would not qualify (insurance wise anyway) for lapband surgery because my BMI is 30. 

Everything I've read is 30+.  This came as a huge shock and I am so down.

Is it true?  I've been reading all of your posts and it doesn't seem so but did you go through insurance or were you self pay?

Please let me know; I was just starting to have hope.  Be careful in the snow this afternoon!

Michelle
MultiMom
on 12/18/08 11:38 pm - NH
I have never heard of a 30+ BMI qualifying for surgery. If you have co-morbidity's (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, etc) they accept a BMI of 35+.

My initial BMI was 41 or 42 and my insurance covered mine.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

janielee65
on 12/19/08 12:00 am - Mansfield, MA

My insurance (Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Mass) was insistant that my body mass had to be 40 or above but if it was 35 or above and you had either high blood pressure, diabetes, or anything like that, they would accept it.  You should have your surgeon check with the insurance company. The assistant that my surgeon had was very persistant, and sometimes that is all you need.  Tell them that you back and your knees hurt all the time.  Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/08 9:23 pm - east falmouth, MA
Never heard of anything below 40 without co morbidies or 35 with several..I think somebody might have misspoke....
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views