Just getting started~extremely stressed over the journey to come~ your experiences?

michellemc0
on 12/9/08 10:56 am - bridgewater, MA
I literally cannot take being over 100lbs overweight one minute longer and today I finally saw my primary care doctor and he agreed that Lap Banding would be a good option for me.   I literally burst into tears, I was so happy that finally I might be getting some help.  I am hopefully going to an info session next week, but here is why I'm stressing:
1.) no diabetes, no high blood pressure, etc--over 40 BMI but no other health problems except knee and foot pain
2.) changing to Aetna insurance through work after the 1st of the year.  I have only heard bad things about Aetna and approval.

I am 5'3.5" and 230 lbs.  I have 3 kids and I cannot keep up with them.  I hate missing out on their early years (ags 5, 4, and 2) and I am starting to feel hopeless. 

If anyone can share stories of struggles w/their insurance and can let me know if my lack of medical 'problems' (other than the 100+ pounds I am carrying around) is going to ruin my chances of getting the surgery, I'd rather find out now than later.

I am planning on going through Caritas in Norwood.
Thanks to any and all of you who can help.
Michelle
MultiMom
on 12/9/08 8:22 pm - NH
Hi Michelle,

Take a deep breath..... you will be fine! I cannot help you with the insurance end, but as far as the rest goes we are very similar. I had no diabetes, no high blood pressure, no sleep apnea, etc. I did have knee pain and needed to lose 105 pounds.

I am older than you at 51 but want to keep up with my teenagers and grandchildren (I also have 3 kids that are married).

Go to the informational session and listen to the program. I went to 2 different ones (my insurance didn't cover the first because it was out of state). I went in sure I wanted the lap band and came out wanting RNY gastric bypass. I didn't consider the other WLS because they weren't covered by my insurance.

You can call Aetna and ask them what their requirements are. As far as I know if your BMI is over 40, you don't need to have any co-morbidities to qualify for surgery.

If you have other questions.... as I am sure you will along the way, this is the place .

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

stellalukin
on 12/9/08 9:23 pm - Cambridge, MA
Yay! It's such a great process- the only way I can describe it is LIBERATING.

I also started out thinking that I wanted the Lap Band, then did some research, went to a few meetings, and decided that RNY was right for me. I just was not comfortable with some of the side effects of the Lap Band & I decided it was way too easy to bypass if I wanted.

I decided to go with Newton Wellesley Hospital because a friend of mine had her surgery there & had nothing but great things to say. I loved that they focused on long term follow up care & had support group meetings that I could (and do) attend.
I am 5'11, I started around 277, and had my first consult with NWH on February 6th of this year. My information was submitted to insurance that week, I was approved on the first try (I have UHC) and my surgery was April 1st.
My info is all on my ticker, but I have surpassed my surgeon's goal, I'm down around 110lbs, and am wearing a size 6.

It's not for everyone, but if you're willing & able to make the commitment, go for it. It's completely changed my life.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

AwesomeForever
on 12/10/08 12:18 am - Marlborough, MA
Michelle, I wish you all the best.

Linda
Just Brooke
on 12/10/08 3:01 am
Hi Michelle,

I don't have any insurance advice but I will tell you I didn't have any diabetes or other health problems either, I was simply ....morbidly obese. My BMI was 41 (I think) and I weighed 285.

Your mind may change several times now UP until surgery. I was all for the lapband at first but after going to about 3-4 support groups ...I became a bypass girl and never thought twice about it.

It's normal to feel confused, scared, and to change your mind about your options! It's such a BIG decision, but I can honestly say ...this has been the best journey I've ever taken :)

Good luck.

purplefans
on 12/10/08 6:30 am - MA
Hey Michelle -  I don't have Aetna, but stressed that the company was going to change in the middle of the consults, and then what would I do?  I thought about doing cobra on the old insurance for a few months,  and trying to find out ahead of time what the new insurance company would provide.  Your HR person should be able to help you find information about this, ahead of time (if they are nice!  )  I also had no health problems except for arthritis in my foot. BMI 40.  (or 41).     Its a life change, and I'm happy I'm doing it.    Best of luck,and think positive! 

kerriockey
on 12/20/08 1:14 pm - Marshfield, MA
Let me begin by telling you I was banded in Norwood by Adam and Arthur Glasow.  My experience was Awesome!  I had no comobidities but met the weight requirement (barely).  I had my seminar on 6/30 and had completed my sleep study/nut study and psych eval. within the 1 week.  I was successfully banded on 7/15.  Yes, I know that is quick...but the staff there are wonderful and I don't like to wait...they did not make me :-)  I do have BCBS...not sure what you currently have or if they take Aetna...but I would recommend you call their office if you haven't already...best phone call I ever made.  At 5'5" I was 241 I am now 185 and feeling great!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views