Boston Medical Center...any reccomendations?

goalechica
on 12/8/08 8:22 am - Waldorf, MD
So I'm starting down the road to WLS. I have BMC Healthnet so have to get it done at Boston Medical Center. I've heard some good things about Dr. Hess over there. Does anyone else have any experiences they can share with me?

In addition, I find their website is very hard to navigate, and haven't been able to locate information as to whether they have a come all information session. Any information or advice anyone has on Boston Medical Centers WLS program, or on BMC Healthnet insurance, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Boutin1986
on 12/8/08 9:14 am
Dr. Hess and BMC are great. I had Lap Band surgery w/Dr. Hess. He is the best. I would reccomend him to everyone and I do. His staff is good also. I see him in Quincy, but had my surgery at BMC. No problems there either.

QMC has a meeting on the first Monday of every month in Quincy at Quincy Medical Center. I haven't been in a while. Dr. Hess works out of both palces.

Best of luck to you - you are in good hands with Dr. Hess

goalechica
on 12/8/08 10:11 am - Waldorf, MD
Thank you for the response! I just really have a hard time with their website. Do you know if they have a regular information session like most practices, or do you just schedule a surgeon consult?
irenethebean
on 12/11/08 1:51 am - foxboro, MA
I just had surgery with Dr. Hess also.  Almost 2 months ago.  He is an amazing, caring surgeon.  His staff is excellent.  Tony, the nurse coordinator is fantastic.  Wendy, the nut and Kelly in social work are both wonderful people as well.  Don't hesitate to put your life in Dr. Hess' hands.  He won't let you down.  Also, Wendy the nut, runs support groups the first and third thursdays of every month.  Try to go to one, they're very informative.  Good luck.
goalechica
on 12/11/08 2:24 am - Waldorf, MD
Thank you for the information. :)

I e-mailed Dr. Hess and figured out what I need to get a consult is a referral from my PCP stating why I need it. That said, I'm not sure my PCP will give it but I have an appt. with her Tuesday and I'm going to try to convince her that this is what I think is right for me. Hopefully she'll respect that. New Drs can be frustrating. It's like you begin at square 1 all over again!

How are you doing so far Irene?
irenethebean
on 12/14/08 3:20 am - foxboro, MA
Hopefully your pcp will be understanding.  Mine actually was the one *****commended the surgery to me at my physical 2 years ago.   This surgery does have the best track record.  I mean in comparison to other methods of losing weight like ww or regular dieting.  My pcp was 100% behind me doing this. 
As for the surgery itself.  I can't say that it was all that bad.  My pain was minimal.  Sure, I was uncomfortable for the first 4-5 weeks, but not in actual pain.  As with anything,  I have my good days and bad days.   Sometimes I thank the lord that I was able to do this, and other times I'm hitting my head against the wall.  That last part comes mostly from the fact that I had a really bad food addiction, and like any 'narc'  food withdrawal is NOT easy.  It's mainly psychological.  Some physical as well, like really needing to stay on top of protein/vitamins, even when your pouch is  not feeling all that great.  Everyone is different, but with me I find I need to eat like every 3-4 hours, otherwise my pouch really gives me grief.  I can't skip meals either, cause that causes me a lot of pain, and it has a roller coaster effect in that if I skip a meal, it's really hard to eat the next one.  I've lost about 50 pounds since meeting with dr. Hess last March.  About 30 since surgery.  I have a long way to go, so I guess for me, right now, the rewards aren't as great as the pain to get there...and I don't mean physical pain.  I'm sure though, as the weight comes off, I'll be changing my mind. 
If you think this is right for you, then I say do it 200%.  Don't take it lightly.  It is a MAJOR life change.  It's like waking up one morning and finding yourself in a different body, and dealing with all that would entail.  A lot of learning.  A lot of tears, of frustration and happiness as well.  Be sure this is what you want.  Anyway, I think I've talked your ear off...lol.  Pm me if you have any questions, or just need a listening ear.
goalechica
on 12/16/08 5:28 am - Waldorf, MD
Irene,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been very busy with Finals this last week. Well my PCP appt. went much better than expected! She was more than understanding. In fact she wants to do some testing because she thinks I may have one or two other weight related issues. So that, while not a good thing, is a good thing in that she is thourough.

I can understand the food addiction. I don't actually have that, but at least 2 members of my immediate family do, and because of it they won't consider RNY.

Congratulations on your weight loss! 50 lbs is a great milestone. How long was your wait time with Dr. Hess? Also, I've read that many hospitals have administrative fees that range anywhere from 500 - 1200 dollars. This is out of pocket. Did you experience this with BMC and if so, how much did it cost you? I know that my insurance covers it if I qualify, which I think I will, but am concerned about this out of pocket administrative fee.

I don't think I'm taking this lightly, however my family does not agree. They say to do it the old fashioned way. And though I have explained that I have tried every method available to me and some no one should try, I'm just obese. That said, my parents and older sister are much bigger than I am but don't want to admit to being morbidly obese, so in their eyes I am not. I just tell them that they can call themselves what they'd like but I'm not willing to pretend my way into an early grave, because that's where I'm headed. I don't understand why some obese people seem perfectly healthy, but there are those of us that have many issues. I guess it's all genetics.

Sorry to rant!

I appreciate your responses, and hope you are doing well! Hope to join you on the losers bench soon. Calling Dr. Hess Thurs. to set up my consult!

Starting Weight/ Surgery Weight
        255                   237                     

irenethebean
on 12/16/08 9:46 am - foxboro, MA
I'm happy to hear your appointment with your pcp went well!  Having her on your side is a big step in the right direction. 

My wait time with Dr. Hess wasn't all that long.  I called in January, and my appointment was for March 3rd I believe, so not too bad.  There is no admin fee for BMC.  No out of pocket expenses at all, with the exception of the psych evaluation with was $160 and that's because it's done by an outside third party.  Insurance covered all of it for the most part.  A few small bills here and there, but nothing major.

This is a big step you're taking, and I wish you all the luck and support in the world.  As for  your family telling you to do it the old fashioned way...well, all I can say is you and I  have 'been there and done that'.  Sure, everyone wants to do it the old fashioned way.  Who actually WANTS to have major surgery and rearrange their insides.  Nobody.  You do what you have to do to get your life and your health under control, and if that means you go the surgery route, then just be thankful you have that option.  I'll admit when I saw your pic, I didn't think you needed to lose weight, or that you needed this surgery.  But, if you have the comorbidities you say you do, well then, that's a different story.  Our health is the major thing, and you're still so young.  You have the right to a long and healthy life.  With that said, good luck with your consult appointment, and if you ever want to attend a support group meeting, just let me know and i'll meet you at the hospital.   I think Dr. Hess also has an office in Quincy, and the local hospital there also does support group meetings.   Quincy is actually a bit easier for me to get to, and the since the meetings are at 530pm, the neighborhood is nicer than it is down at BMC at that time of the day.  Let me know if  you want to go, and i'll ask Tony where and when those meetings are.
Take care,
Irene
goalechica
on 12/17/08 4:04 am - Waldorf, MD
Well I called their office today and set up my consult for January 29th. I'm hoping the process doesn't take too long as I am a full time student as well as work full time. Hopefully I can get something set up for the summer as I at least won't have to worry about the school component. I cannot take a semester off to do this as I am so close now to graduation.

I'm so glad to hear there isn't an adminstrative fee. Thanks for filling me in!

I really appreciate your kind words of support. I know what you mean about the picture. But I think it was probably 20lbs ago, and also it's really a head shot. My face for some reason does not seem to be somewhere I store fat. For me it's mostly my stomach. Which is a good thing for pictures of my head...but a bad thing for body shots! I'll get a full length one on here soon. I am 255lbs and 5'7 so that puts my BMI at 39.9. I don't think I would consider something like this if it were a concern for looks. I've never been a vain person. Sure I would love to be thinner, but really the kicker for me is the back pain. I just want to feel a bit more functional. It probably won't ever go away fully but it doesn't need to be what it currently is. That's kind of where I'm coming from.

I would love to check out a support group meeting. I'll be out of town for the holidays, but maybe in February we could meet for one. Thank you for suggesting it! I live in Raynham so I'm not sure which location is closer to me, but it really doesn't matter to me so we could go to the Quincy one for sure.

Thanks Irene!

Jenna

Starting Weight/ Surgery Weight
        255                   237                     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views