Angry/discouraged/sad over letter... DENIED

CMC11604
on 12/8/08 8:26 am - Wakefield, MA

Let me start off with the dreadful fact that I have Aetna for health insurance! Now let me tell you how angry, discouraged and sad I am for receiving a letter in the mail today stating that I was DENIED.

How can someone determine whether or not I am ready to have a surgery of this nature. I have been through all my steps. I have seen the Psychologist, Cardiologist, Pulmonologist, Nutritionist and have gone to every support group meeting they have asked me to attend plus more.

I do not want to give up, I want this more than anything and have worked really hard!

Any encouragement?

CLOPES23
on 12/8/08 8:55 am - BROCKTON , MA
I have not been through what you are going through, but i'm sure it must be very hard.  Did you get a reason as to why you were denied??  and are you able to appeal ???    I which you the best of luck

CMC11604
on 12/8/08 10:37 am - Wakefield, MA
The wording that the insurance paper states is not totally specific. It however does state that.... A doctors summary letter is not enough information. Does that mean my doctor did not submit all the right paperwork?

How are you doing? Have you had WLS surgery?
rockysmom
on 12/8/08 11:05 am - Dartmouth, MA
What surgeon were you going to use?  All my paperwork was done through the surgeon's office.  (Dr. Lautz - Brigham & Women's)  I'm just guessing but it does sound like your doctor didn't do the paperwork properly.
rockysmom
on 12/8/08 11:09 am - Dartmouth, MA
Never mind, I see who the surgeon is.  Can you call the insurance company and get more information about what was missing?  You must be terribly disappointed. Maybe you can appeal the decision?
(deactivated member)
on 12/9/08 2:41 am - east falmouth, MA
Call your insurance company and ask for more specific information on the reason for deinal...Find out what the guidelines are and make it right. 

It does  not sound all that bad to me..more like a paperwork issue.  I am surprised that your surgeons office would not be better off at providing the needed information though..And don't think that is a bad thing to mention to them.

It may be other areas as well but if you do meet the standard criteria and have no exclusions in yor policy they will eventually approve you if you stick to your guns... 

And you have what it takes to get this done...Just find out the gaps and fill them in... it will be ok.

Rainyt
on 12/9/08 1:13 am - Springfield, MA
Do not be discouraged but get encouraged.  You have traveled too far on your weight loss journey to give up.  Ask your insurance company to send you a letter stating exactly what they need for your surgeon to submit to them pending approval for the surgery.  That is what I have done because I do not want any last minute delays. 

After you receive the letter talk with the surgeon's office to obtain the additional information requested.  Appeal their denial and have all your documentation and resubmit it to the insurance company.  Most importantly keep your faith and don't give up.  Make it happen you can with the strength that God gave you to bring you where you are today. 
Kathy V.
on 12/9/08 8:37 am - MA
YOU WILL GET THERE !!!! 

I had Cigna and they denied me and denied my appeal.  I dropped them and got BC of Mass and was approvel on the same day it was submitted.  Aetna isn't the worst insurance out there.

I work in the medical field and in your appeal letter use the words "medically necessary".  Every desicion is based on medical necessity.  It does sound like your surgeons office didn't send all paperwork in.  Line all your ducks up and send in an appeal letter.
Best of luck
CMC11604
on 12/9/08 11:54 am - Wakefield, MA
Thank to you everyone for the kind words of encouragement!
dragonfly777
on 12/10/08 10:05 am
That sounds very frustrating, hang in there!!
Being new to all of this, is this a common thing?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views