How much time did you take off from work?

(deactivated member)
on 12/2/08 11:31 pm - Ashland, MA
I have a desk job with some walking around the building but I could limit that some.  I have a few stairs to walk up to get in the boulding.  How much time did you take off from work for Gastic Bypass Surgery.  Was it too much, too little?  Just looking to plan some for the future.  Thanks.
NeedhamGal
on 12/3/08 12:20 am - MA
it varies for a lot of people.  Sometimes it is advised to sign up to take your medical leave for say 6 weeks, and if you feel well you can go back to work early. Some people are fine on the 2nd week, some are exhausted. Some people commute by train which adds to the time away from home. Some people have issues when introducing foods, and find it hard to do this in the work environment.  My answer is vague...but it varies for all different people.
I work at home on the computer. I took the week off for the surgery week, and the following week. I felt fine the 2nd week and could have worked if I had needed to do so.

Joan
Discovery02466
on 12/3/08 2:46 am - Newton, MA
I echo what Joan says...Everyone is so different...I was in pretty good physical shape heading into surgery, so I feel that aside from being overweight, I was good to go...My surgery was three days before Thanksgiving last year and I work at a college, so I took 3 days before turkey day, and the five days the following week, but had essentially two weeks off...I was bored to tears after the first week and wanted to go back, but I didn't...I felt fine, but having the time off made it a lot easier to manage my liquid diet and force myself to rest...When I did go back to work (I don't have a desk job) I was just careful about what I lifted and made sure I focused on getting my fluids in..I moved on to ground proteins three days after I went back to work and that made a huge difference for me energy wise...

~Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 3:26 am - Ashland, MA
thanks for the answers.  I should be having surgery in Feb.  I have mostly heard from people that it is usually between 2-6 weeks.  Good to know.
mzicuis
on 12/3/08 5:17 am
I was planning on trying to go back asap...I love my job (I am a social service director).  I had surgery on 11/5, really wanted to be back by the 17th and there was no way I could do it.  I was so tired!1  I ended up going in until noontime the following week mon, tues, wed and taking turkey day and the following day off.  This past monday I worked until 1, yesterday unitl 2:30, then today I stayed until 3:30.  I really should have just said in the beginning that I was going to take a certain amount of time off, and stuck with it... but my surgeon said some people can go back after a week adn some after 6 weeks.
mzicuis
on 12/3/08 5:32 am
I am a social service director and mak\de the mistake of telling everyone at work that I really wanted to be back to work on 11/17 ( surgery was 11/5)  I felt so tired and there was NO way I could return.  I pushed myself and went back the following week mon, tues and wed until noon and went home and fell asleep for the afternoon.  This week I went monday until 12, yesterday until 2:30 and today stayed a full day until 4.  I really should have just stayed out a few weeks and rested.  You will know...my doctor said some people go back after a week and others 6 weeks.  I thought the surgery was not great - I was much sicker at my c section and this was far worse...but I am also a big baby.  I guess my main complaint was my sore back and I have NO appetite at all.  Good luck!!
nicunicu2002
on 12/3/08 7:27 am - Sharon, MA
I took a full 6 weeks off.  I work 12 hour shifts, 3 days a week and on my feet quite a bit so I knew I couldnt go back too soon.  I think if I had a desk job, I could have gone back at 2-3 weeks.  Everyone is different and you have to factor in your prior activity level, age etc....good luck!

kim

Sue M.
on 12/3/08 8:51 am - Nantucket, MA
i started off planning to take the full 6 weeks.  this conveniently ends the day my university closes for the holidays, so i get about 7.5 weeks.  Today is week 3 and there is no way in hell i could sit at my desk for 8 hours.  i nap about every other day depending on activity and have now come down with a cold.  I have a feeling that i will take the full time off.  i'm using the time to rest and really get this sipping water schedule down!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
AwesomeForever
on 12/3/08 9:03 am - Marlborough, MA
Like Sue who may luck out and have seven weeks off, I wanted the option of going back after my grandchildren had their Feb. vacation. My surgeon went along with it. He is some kind of wonderful.

My surgiversary is today for 11 months. I think resting when I needed to has helped me all this year. I have not been sick or taken a day off to rest and relax (known as banging in!)

I was longing for something to do most days but keeping up a schedule of eating back then was easier at home than it would have been going into work. Also, since my job is mainly outside, and I am on limited duty as it is...I did not want to go back and be stuck inside! Being bored at home is much easier than being bored at work...

It was so good to be off with bad weather and rest when I needed to rest. Not nap per se but not pushing myself to be social with customers when I was not in tip top shape.

I would have spurts of energy and think geez I can tear apart that cabinet or something huge. Part way into the project, Linda would just be so tired. I could sit at the computer and check emails or OH. Or, I could read...

Rest and recuperate...life is good...

Linda

stellalukin
on 12/4/08 2:00 am - Cambridge, MA
I took 4 weeks & it was GREAT. So glad I took the full time.
I didn't have to worry about disability pay, etc., and I didn't think that the days post-surgery were the time for me to test my threshold for endurance.

Take all the time you need.
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views