Cheeseburgers & fries after bypass? How is this possible?

LornaDoone
on 11/30/08 2:30 pm - Woburn, MA
My girlfirend, 9 months out from surgery, said she can eat a cheeseburger & fries from a restaurant (ok, 1/2 the burger & she takes the rest home for the next day)  Can you really tolerate a burger & fries after surgery?  I thought the grease/fat would make you very sick?  She also eats bacon & eggs once a week for breakfast (1 scrambled egg & 2 strips regular bacon) that she has no issues with.

I am having my surgery soon- I thought you would have to eliminate many foods forever, like macaroni & cheese, bacon, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.  Can any of you post-ops help me with this?
purplefans
on 11/30/08 10:29 pm - MA

I'm only 3 months post op, so I'm still trying things, but I have had french fries (stolen from my childs plate), and bacon and eggs with no problems.  I haven't tried a cheeseburger, but I have had taco salad.     I try a new thing almost every week, but am paying much more attention to the fat and sugar content and method of cooking.  Quality, not quantity, is the name of the game. 

nani71
on 11/30/08 11:41 pm - MA
I have discovered that i can eat almost anything!!  at 5 months post op,  BUT   just because i can eat it doesn't mean i should eat it.  everyone is different.  i don't dump at all which in my opinion is a good thing and a bad thing.   I have eliminated alot from my daily diet like, breads, pasta, rice  these things swell in my pouch and make me feel very uncomfortable, and sugar,because it has no nutritional value at all.  on occasion if i make some oven baked fries for my kid or i might steal a fry or two from a restaraunt it's okay.  i would never indulge in an entire order.  i would order a burger and throw away the bun and eat it.  i have not done that yet, but that's what i would do.  i eat bacon occasionally, i use the pre cooked stuff or sometimes the turkey bacon and drain it well  i also do not eat it every day  maybe once a month and only 2-3 pieces, then i'm stuffed.  everyones different, just stick to the plan that your nut. and surgeon give you, try not to test the waters too soon and trust me you will be able to eat almost everything in moderation again, and won't feel deprived you just won't be able to eat tons of it like before.  Eliminating stuff before surgery is a good start.  and remeber just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should!!  thta's my mantra now.  good luck, Tess 
Just Brooke
on 12/1/08 7:28 am
I am 6-7 months out and can eat a burger, but only about half of it. Fries are another story for me. They don't agree with me but I can tolerate 1 or 2 of them.  Greasy food is not what makes me sick ...it's sugar! I stay FAR away from sugary foods!

rockysmom
on 12/1/08 7:53 am, edited 12/1/08 10:30 am - Dartmouth, MA
Ditto on what everyone else said!  I was also surprised to find out that I can eat somewhat normally.  I can eat some of a cheeseburger -- a couple of bites, then I will get rid of the bun, because the bread starts to feel heavy in my pouch.  Next, I will ssslowly eat a few more bites of the meat and cheese ( I'm starting to get full now) - maybe one more bite of either just the meat or just the cheese.  As far as the fries go, I can eat a few, maybe 4 or 5 - depending on how greasy they are.  Real heavy, fried or greasy foods I don't eat at all.  I've tried a bite or two, and I can tell right away it's not going to agree with me.  Macaroni and cheese goes down fine; bacon - I just don't like it anymore.  Grilled cheese I haven't tried because I can't eat much of bread. Sugar doesn't bother me at all - if I wanted to, I could probably eat a normal portion of a dessert.  I stay away from it though, -- if it's a special occasion, I'll do maybe 3 bites of a dessert.  All that being said, everyone is different.  Some people dump and get very ill from sugar and fats, and I suspect that there's a threshold -- If I was to eat more of any of this stuff, I think I would get sick.  It's all a bit of trial and error until you know what you can (and want) to tolerate.
Anne-Marie

Girl ..
on 12/6/08 11:18 am - MA
I can eat anything, but cannot eat large portions.  I agree with quality not quantity. 
I also dislike bread as a rule - it almost feels like a mushy ball hits my pouch when I eat bread.  I tend to eat what is in the sandwich with very little of the  bread.

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

ks4
on 12/22/08 3:31 am - Fitchburg, MA
Yes it is possible, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If I were to have a cheeseburger and fries, I would go for a grilled cheeseburger with no bun.  Fries would be baked, but I would eat the burger first.  I'd only be able to eat some of it, so I would never get to the fries.  I've stolen a couple of my kids fries from their happy meal and they taste so greasy to me now and leave a nasty after taste in my mouth, so I don't bother anymore.  I can live without it.

I've been able to eat just about anything...including sugar which I'm not happy that I even tested the waters to find this out.  This was an issue for me pre-op and now it's an issue post-op.  If you haven't tested the waters, I strong suggest not doing so.  I regret doing so.

I don't eat bacon much, but if I do, I have the boxed bacon that you nuke and only have a few slices.  Eggs are great.  I can eat two and I'm all set.  I also buy the turkey breakfast sausage (I think Armor makes it) and those sit well with me.

Macaroni and cheese doesn't sit well with me.  Gets stuck everytime and I end up with the foamies. 

I hardly ever have pastas because most of the time it gets stuck.  If I do have pasta, I buy the barilla whole grain hi-protein pasta.  I'll make it about once a month (the family loves spaghetti).  Breads are very, very minimal and so is rice.  It fills me up too fast and then because of the carbs I have problems with hypoglycemia and I feel like garbage for the rest of the day and I'm batteling with my blood sugar numbers for the day. 

HTH,
Kendra

Zaudika
on 12/27/08 12:01 pm - Gulf Breeze, FL
On December 22, 2008 at 11:31 AM Pacific Time, ks4 wrote:
Yes it is possible, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If I were to have a cheeseburger and fries, I would go for a grilled cheeseburger with no bun.  Fries would be baked, but I would eat the burger first.  I'd only be able to eat some of it, so I would never get to the fries.  I've stolen a couple of my kids fries from their happy meal and they taste so greasy to me now and leave a nasty after taste in my mouth, so I don't bother anymore.  I can live without it.

I've been able to eat just about anything...including sugar which I'm not happy that I even tested the waters to find this out.  This was an issue for me pre-op and now it's an issue post-op.  If you haven't tested the waters, I strong suggest not doing so.  I regret doing so.

I don't eat bacon much, but if I do, I have the boxed bacon that you nuke and only have a few slices.  Eggs are great.  I can eat two and I'm all set.  I also buy the turkey breakfast sausage (I think Armor makes it) and those sit well with me.

Macaroni and cheese doesn't sit well with me.  Gets stuck everytime and I end up with the foamies. 

I hardly ever have pastas because most of the time it gets stuck.  If I do have pasta, I buy the barilla whole grain hi-protein pasta.  I'll make it about once a month (the family loves spaghetti).  Breads are very, very minimal and so is rice.  It fills me up too fast and then because of the carbs I have problems with hypoglycemia and I feel like garbage for the rest of the day and I'm batteling with my blood sugar numbers for the day. 

HTH,
Kendra
What she said   ^^^^^^^^^^

I can also eat several of the things listed, but it doesn't mean you *should*.   Eating those thing is what got us morbidly obese in the first place.

An occasional special treat or something like that is okay, but it's a very good idea to try and stay away from it mostly and not start to reform bad habits.

Weight at time of Surgery: 278.   Lowest Weight 178.   Current weight 187.0.  Goal: 160.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views