I'm baaaack.....

Lynski
on 11/21/08 11:58 am - Central, MA
Hi,
How are you all?  I am now post-op, had my surgery on Monday.  All went well, but needed a blood transfusion before I was released.  Glad to be home!
Still on clear liquids, but was "upgraded" to protein shakes today.  I hope to be on pureed foods by my next appt on Weds - just in time for Thanksgiving mashed potatoes.
I really haven't been that hungry yet but I can see where 'all liquids' will get old soon.  My husband made hamburgers tonight and they smelled awesome!  I still feel really bloated and my stomach is making these God-awful noises.  When does this stop?  It's starting to scare the kids!
So even after all the pre-op researching and reading, I still have tons of questions, so I'm sure to be back picking your "veteran" brains.  Let's get one out of the way:  I know lite versions of butter, mayo and cheese are better for you, but are they necessary with RNY or just better for you?  Personally I don't like the lighter versions but will use them if I have to.  I just didn't know if it would make me dump.  (I'm okay with no caffeine and no sugar.)
Thanks,
Lynne

This is me on my way to Tahiti!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/08 8:56 pm - east falmouth, MA
welcome back..I got the deed done on wednesday...feel fine but sore and it's all good. I have 2 weeks on liquid diet so i guess all doctors are different!   I get no butter or oil for 38 more days!...
The main protein drink for me is carnation instant breakfast and I find it tasty if I mix it in a blender with ice and milk..so that is my friend for a while. 

I am actually trying hard not to think too much about the food until it gets the right time.  I my case I am such a compulsive about it that I want to learn to minimize my  involvement as much as possible.

Fortunately I have a super strong nutritionist that I really like and everything has been made super clear so far.    

I am a little concerned about your fast  progression toward regular foods...Do you have a nutritionist appointment in the next week or so...I think maybe you should.  

Please don't take this badly, I just want you to suceed..I want us alllll to succeed.. and this certainly is a make or break  time for all of us recent post- ops... 

Good luck...welcome home ..Doesnt your own bed feel great!!!? and all good re****s on the loosers bench!!!

Lynski
on 11/22/08 6:11 am - Central, MA
Hi,
In the program I'm in, after surgery we have a 10 day liquid diet and then pureed foods for 2 to 3 weeks.   I'm just looking for more flavor than the liquids I've been drinking, even if it is in a weird puree form.
Regarding the non-lite forms of mayo etc., I know lite is probably better, but I think in the long haul, after some time, regular versions of these things will be fine, especially in the small amounts they will be eaten.   Maybe not right away, and defintiely tested for dumping. 
After a week though, I am ready for something besides iced tea & jello!!
I have follow up visit next week, not sure if it's with the NUT though.  They are always open to calls and questions though.
Thanks!
Lynne

Sue M.
on 11/21/08 11:53 pm - Nantucket, MA
Welcome to the loser's bench!  My pouch hasn' made any big noises in a while... and i'm only 10 days out, so there's hope. ;)

I think they are recommending "lite" due to fat content.  Too much fat can make you dump.  I tried some regular peanut butter and had a mini-dump.  Set my hydration efforts back a few days.  i would definitely use lite stuff for a while.  Ask your nutritionist next time you see them and maybe down the line you can test the regular stuff.  It's too early to **** off your pouch.

I had a lovely blended pot roast dinner the other night - something i never thought was possible.  it looked pretty gross but the taste was yummy and I ate it slow and steady.  Thanksgiving should be great!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Lynski
on 11/22/08 6:14 am - Central, MA
I'm glad you are doing well, Sue!
I don't even know how much I lost yet, still feeling really bloated.  Besides, my scale is way off from the Weight Mgmt center's. 

purplefans
on 11/22/08 10:35 am - MA
Mashed potatoes worked great for me, but I made sure that I didn't have butter with them - I actually bought a single-serving pre-made (that you mix with water).   It was really great to have something that tasted good!      You'll be surprised by how little it will take for you to feel stuffed. 

And, if the Dr.'s office is fine with it, blend turkey with fat-free gravy, and mashed potatoes together!  MMM!

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/08 8:51 pm - east falmouth, MA
I usually make my mashed spuds with sour cream instead of butter...But last time I used some fage greek yougurt to thin them and it was great.... Just a suggestion...I think I am a litle jealous of your post op progression today... but I am one big burp anyway so whatver.
I informed my mother that I would not be making thanksgiving dinner this year and she actually tried to convince me to go out ...wtf...  She thinks my husband will want to take her out too...big news..he has been wonderful and is putting me before her...She is not used to that and I think this might be the hardest part of all of this.  putting myself first..but I really can't be setting off my old compulsive craving stuff all the time...

purplefans
on 11/22/08 11:01 pm - MA
Putting yourself first is hard, because you feel selfish.  You have to remember this --- get over it!  Be selfish to yourself!! You deserve it!    I focused on my meals only (and my kids), but my dh learned very quickly to plan his own meals, and not get upset that I hadn't prepared anything because it was all for the best in the long run.    2 wks post op I went out to a family dinner (mandatory), and had french onion soup, while others were having steak and seafood!  But it was fine, and I'm proud that I didn't cave in (at least during the 1st month!)

rockysmom
on 11/23/08 8:53 am - Dartmouth, MA
Congratulations!  Glad you are doing well.  As far as the butter, cheese and mayo -- everyone is different, it depends on what you can tolerate -- and that will change as you get further out. I can eat the full fat versions of cheese and butter now --for some strange reason I don't like mayo any more at all (I loved it before the surgery) -- but I eat the light versions because they are healthier and less calories.  I have found that the non-fat versions usually taste awful, but the low-fat versions taste almost the same.  I don't remember exactly at what point in the diet progression I started eating fats, but you should just follow the plan.  That's what I did, and it worked well - I had no dumping.
Best of luck,
Anne-Marie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views