Any good protein shakes??

mzicuis
on 11/20/08 9:38 pm
I had bought 3 flavors of shakes from walmart, the 100% whey and I loved them at first, but I am actually having to gag them down now.  What powder do you use?  I need a really good one and I don't care how much it costs!!
jayner
on 11/20/08 11:10 pm - Littleton, MA
Don't give up on those powders. Add stuff to them to make them more palatable. Put them in the freezer for 20 minutes. Add some vanilla extract, use a blender and add some fruit or a spoon of peanut better. Add ice cubes to the blender and have a frappe.

My favorite is Syntrax Matrix Cappuccino. I warm a cup of skim milk so that the temperature is less than 130 degrees, then slowly add the milk to the powder. I drink this often in the morning.

Jayne

CareNH
on 11/20/08 11:16 pm - Derry, NH
Another good option- not cheap but a nice break from the Milk/powder option are the Isopure bottles at GNC. Each bottle has 40 grams of protein and they are clear- not milky. I love them- especially the grape, blue raspberry, mango/peach, fruit punch. Since there is no mixing, I can take a bottle on the road. I think they are 20 oz., so the quantity is large for a newbie to get down. I still at a year out try to have one a day to keep my protein numbers up.
Take a peek on line- I buy them at the store by the case once a month during their sale at the beginning of each month.
Good Luck!

Highest Weight- 306, BMI: 43.9
Current Weight- 168, BMI: 24.1
Goal Weight- 165,  BMI:  23.6

Sue M.
on 11/21/08 8:32 am - Nantucket, MA
so far out of all the ones i've tried, the isopure ready made drinks are working best for me.  Icy Orange is my favorite - but still have others to try.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
M M
on 11/21/08 8:52 am
If you still have those powders - I suggest doctoring them up a touch to get use of them.    Add a bit of sugar free flavoring, unsweetened cocoa, powdered peanut butter, sweetener, frozen fruit, etc... blend.  You will be amazed if you haven't already done this.  

Otherwise:

NOT this:  AchievOne Protein Drink
OR THIS: Protein Bullet Review!
LaBrada Lean Body Shake
Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Protein - Orange Cream
Chike Protein
Click Espresso Protein

mzicuis
on 11/23/08 5:42 am
Thanks everyone *****sponded.  Those are great ideas.  I really feel like even though I am allowed to eat "real food"  my belly cannot take it yet.  everything is making me sick to my stomach.
Kyri
on 11/25/08 1:11 am - Billerica, MA
Im with you~ I loved muscle milk light - cant stand it now. They have 10 flavors and nothing worked. I tried Isopure, that was a bit more acceptable but still drinking 20 oz to get in 40g protine was tough I never wanted anythin else afterwards. 
So....... I tried the Profect they advertise online here. (
www.profect.com) Its great. Some of the flavors are kinda nasty but, after the sample pack you can order the ones you like best. Its 2.9 oz and you get 25g protine so you can focus on drinking water and getting your fluids in!! What a joy. Its #12 for a sample pack of 4. They run like $4 each after shipping but its so worth it (at least for me it was). They have 2 sizes also so you can actually get larger 6oz containers and get 50g of protine in.
That stuff sure saved my bacon thats for sure!!!!!!! Im do much better now since i am not so stuffed all the time.

Good luck! hang tough! its a journey worth fighting for~
Kyri
pebblesooo
on 12/7/08 12:18 pm - MA
I can't choke protein drinks down..... I've spent a small fortune on powders and ready made shakes.  They just don't go down......    EWWWW
Sooooo..... I thought I'd better try the juices.............. I purchased a case of "delicious" (so I was told) of the Isopure drinks and nearly died when I sipped one and felt like I just chewed a stick of chalk.   Soooo I tried another.....   same result.... and another.......  YUP... you guessed it... same result.

Looks like I'll be taking them to our meeting next week for anyone who'd like them.....

I tried Amino Fuel and that was like drinking liquid pigs feet with a hint of orange.....

I see the nutritionist tomorrow...............  it's a good thing because I'm NOT getting what I'm supposed to....
AwesomeForever
on 12/7/08 10:01 pm - Marlborough, MA
So I see from the results of this post, and many others that we are individuals with individual tastes.

I do doctor mine up.

I usually find the ready made too heavy too filling. I tried and like Slim Fast Low Carb. It is not in all the stores. It is much less sugar.

I need extra protein so I have many different varieties and some appeal to me one week and not the next.

Oh, and love  those protein ice creams that you make from your protein powders...see eggface's blog for recipes...or Youtube. I bought an ice cream maker and it is yummy way to get your protein.

Linda
AwesomeForever
on 12/7/08 10:02 pm - Marlborough, MA

I have to add...

theworldaccordingtoeggface

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views