utterly frustrated gotta vent

Kyri
on 11/18/08 5:04 am - Billerica, MA
I had surgery 10/27 - 3 weeks later I've lost no more than 8 pounds(not counting the 22 pounds of excess fluid i gained in the hospital from the IVs).  I'm utterly frustrated. I'm on stage 2 puree. I'm having more problems than Id like to admit. First, I should mention that i had my gallbladder out the same day.  I passed our cold in during the swallow test. For some reason i also needed 4 pints of blood.  I'm allowed to walk 3 times a day for 5 minutes because i get so dizzy. So, those things considered ...
I cant choke down the protein shakes they make me gag. I loved them before surgery.  I now am trying Isopure 20oz. has 40g protein BUT it takes me about 3 hours to drink 10 oz.   I also ordered some of the profect it should be here soon. I hope it helps

Getting in enough protein is an issue. I can eat just fine- tuna, chicken with a bit of lite mayo or relish, cottage cheese or lentil soups all g down fine, no problems. but i can also only eat bout 1/4 cup of those 3-4 times a day. The only thing i had problem with is pea soup. Got a major dumping head rush, sweats, queasy etc from it.
So that's my rant. I'm just frustrated beyond words. I worked so hard to get this far, i feel like I'm failing. I may be too hard on myself- I'm not sure

Any suggestions would be wonderful

Kyri

MultiMom
on 11/18/08 6:17 am - NH
Hi Kyri....

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. When we talked last you were still having blood sugar issues, is the dizzyness part of that or do you think you might be dehydrated? If it makes you feel any better, I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks. I lost 11 in the first 8 or 9 days (plus the IV extra) and that's it. I know that it will come. Our bodies have been through a major trama and are trying to defend themselves. You had the added extra of the gallbladder removal.

Call the office and talk to Lisa or your NUT and ask them. Let me know how you are doing, OK?

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Kyri
on 11/18/08 9:40 pm - Billerica, MA
I see the NUT (LOL now thats funny!) on monday. She may progress me to stage 3 (heres hoping). But yes, Ill definetly keep u posted.
blisandt
on 11/18/08 6:21 am - MA
I am very sorry to hear about your rough ride.

It sounds as if your surgery got more complicated than many and that's going to mean your body has EXTRA to recover from...  I have heard (and please note, I am still preop!) that SPLITTING your protein drink into two HALVES (part in a.m., part in p.m.) is more effective and perhaps more palatable.. as perhaps would diluting it in each case.

I have also heard: don't weigh in.. just keep doing what you have been instructed to do.. your bod is probably still in shock and holding on for "dear life" to what it can...  you will dominate, and show it what a dear life really can be.

hugs to you.

rockysmom
on 11/18/08 7:49 am, edited 11/19/08 10:10 am - Dartmouth, MA
Don't get discouraged.  Everything you are experiencing is normal and to be expected. In fact, I had some of the exact same experiences.
--  I almost passed out during the swallow test
--  At three weeks out I tried to walk a short distance from my car to GNC at the mall and had to stop twice to sit because of dizziness.  When I went back to work, I was so exhausted from sitting at a desk all day, I would go home after work and go to bed at 6:00pm!
-- I couldn't tolerate any protein shakes except the clear Isopure --  and those tasted terrible to me.  It would take me about 3 hours to get one down also.  You might try mixing it half & half with water and sipping on it all day.  It still takes me all day to drink one, but at least you're not sitting there trying to get it down all at once.  After a while, you sort of get used to the taste, and you can count it as fluids.
--Its great that you CAN eat tuna & chicken --  It took months and months before I could eat even small bites without feeling like I had rocks in my pouch.  Even at 7 1/2 months out, I can't eat more than 1/4 cup of dense protein.  I have to chew well and take my time with it.  The only time I had a dumping type reaction was when I tried Progresso Pea soup.  Two hours after I ate some, I woke from a sound sleep with nausea, dizziness, & cramps.  I'm not positive it was the soup, but it seemed like the most likely culprit.  Getting the protein in is a problem for everyone.  I still struggle to get to 60 grams a day.
-- The weight loss thing --  don't even worry about it.  There is no way NOT to lose at this point.  The first month or two is sometimes slower because you are swollen, your body is trying to recover and you are pumped up with an amazing amount of fluids and gas from the surgery.  At around 3 months, the weight will start flying off, believe me! 
--Up until I was about 4 or 5 months out, I wasn't sure if I had even made the right decision to have the surgery.  Now I am feeling terrific, and have learned what I can and can't eat, what it takes to get the protein in, etc.  Believe me, it gets so much better!!  The best advice I can give you at this point is to try not to focus too much on the scale, or even how you look or feel.  Try to get your mind off the wls and onto other things.  Congratulations on coming this far --  it only gets better from here!
Anne-Marie

nani71
on 11/18/08 8:54 am - MA
i totally agree with Anne-Marie!!!  just hang in there, it realy does get better and you will feel alot better.  It won't happen overnight, it took me about 2 1/2 mos. to feel better, and everyone is different.  just take the time to re adjust your head and the way it used to be, it will get frustarting at times too, but it will all pass .    just follow the rules and one day you will realise how great you feel and how much weight came off in such a short time................trust us!!!!!  you won't regret it then.....   hope you feel better soon, Tess
Kyri
on 11/18/08 9:41 pm - Billerica, MA

I hate sounding like a whiny baby but this has been so frustrating. It makes perfect sence what your saying and thank you for sharing with me. Its always nice to know someone else went through it

EVERYONE thanks ! this is a wonderful board!!!
jayner
on 11/19/08 1:14 am - Littleton, MA
hi Kyri,

Rebecca Shore also performed my RNY. My surgery was done at Emerson. Expect not to lose any weight in the first month - your body is really trying to heal. Have you tried other protein sources? At that stage one of my best sources was refried beans with a bit of melted cheese. You can mix half a scoop of protein powder in yogurt for a protein boost. Habe you tried mixing the powder with ice cubes and some flavoring in a blender. Another favorite is heating milk up to 130 degrees and slowing adding it to protein powder. I do this with cappucino flavored powder. (Be carefult not to use liquid warmer than 130 degrees - the powder gets funky.) I just had my six month surgiversary. I am down 93 pounds from when I had my consult and 65 from surgery. You will get there. Stay off the scale!!!!

Jayne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views