Hello people!

MaeFB
on 11/9/08 2:27 am - Townsend, MA
Hello, I couldn't find a welcome thread, so I'm making mine. Hi, I'm new here; my name is Meghan. I work at a Fashion Bug, and KS4 recommended this site and her surgeon because she has been so successful with hers, so here I am! I'm still just learning about the different surgeries and such, the more intrusive vs. the new ones.

Has anyone had the lap band personally? Were there complications? Are you doing well afterward?

How about gastric bypass? It's the older method, but more intrusive, who would recommend this over the lap band? I need help, I'm new to looking into this. And I'd rather hear it from someone who has HAD the surgery than some pamphlet advertising one or the other.

Are there other types of surgery available, and if so, what do they entail? You all seem experienced, and I'm new, and I'd love to get some help.

thanks,
Meghan
Just Brooke
on 11/9/08 3:13 am

Hello Meghan,

I had gastric bypass on May 5th and have had really good results! I've had no complications besides a staph infection in the beginning - but that cleared up with antibiotics within days.

I've also found the best thing to do for information is just read all of the posts here. Everyone posts about the good and the bad with both surgeries! Even check out everyones profiles too, lots of members get into detail about their surgeries and progress through their blogs.

Good luck,
Brooke

rockysmom
on 11/9/08 3:29 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hi Meghan,
     I had the Laproscopic RNY (gastric bypass) on 4/1/08.  I have had no problems at all, and have lost 75 pounds.  I chose RNY over the LapBand primarily because I did not want to have to go in monthly for fills, and also because I wanted the initial quicker weight loss.  From what I've read, both methods work equally well in the long term.  Some people have had the LapBand fail and end up getting the RNY, I don't think that's real common, but it does happen. There are some who have had complications with the RNY -- dumping, difficulty eating certain foods, etc.  I'm sure lots of people will respond to your post and give you their experiences with their choices.  I am VERY happy with my choice.  My only concern is how will this work out long term -- I guess only time will tell.  No one really knows what long term effects will be 20 or 30 years down the road.
     Best of luck to you!
Anne-Marie

Susan M.
on 11/9/08 8:18 am - MA
HI Meghan,

I got a ton of information on both surgeries from going to the support group at the hospital.  There were pre op and post op ppl there that candidly shared their stories.  In the beginning, I planned on the lap band. After talking to my doctors, the bypass seemed a better option for me.
Everyone is different and have their own preferences.  This site is also a huge resource on information.  There is also a ton of info on the internet on both surgeries.

Good Luck!
Sue

MaeFB
on 11/9/08 10:39 am - Townsend, MA
Thank you all! So, I have been reading some topics and posts, and I have a question... I don't want details if it's a graphic as it SOUNDS, but what's 'dumping'?
Just Brooke
on 11/11/08 10:56 pm
On November 9, 2008 at 6:39 PM Pacific Time, MaeFB wrote:
Thank you all! So, I have been reading some topics and posts, and I have a question... I don't want details if it's a graphic as it SOUNDS, but what's 'dumping'?

Dumping is typically caused by when you eat the wrong foods.  Like for most gastric bypass patients they can't eat things with a lot of sugar. If you do... dumping can occur. The symptons I get are kind of like hot flashes (I get really hot and sweaty), dizziness, and diarrhea.  It can last anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours.

I hope that helps!

jayner
on 11/11/08 10:20 pm - Littleton, MA
Welcome Meghan,

I initially wanted a lapband. When I went to intro sessions at two different hospitals, I learned that there was a connection between gastic bypass surgery and diabetes. In 90% of the cases, after surgery the diabetes was gone. The other fact was that with the lapband, I could eat certain soft foods and not lose any weight (my problem food - ice cream). I didn't want to set myself up for failure.

The diabetes connection was what changed my mind. Here is the link to a 60 Minutes segment on RNY surgery. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/17/60minutes/main4023 451.shtml

good luck,

Jayne

ks4
on 11/12/08 2:54 am - Fitchburg, MA

Hi Meghan, so glad you came to this site!  You're going to love it here and the people are great and very supportive.  There are all different boards on here for different types of surgeries.  I personally had the Gastric Bypass.  I didn't do my research and just did what my pcp suggested.  I have no regrets about doing it, but maybe if I had looked into others I may have chosen differently.  I still have not looked into the others (what's the point now).  So I suggest to do your research and if you do decide to have WLS, choose what will best fit you.  This is your life, no one else and you are doing this for you.  So welcome aboard~
~Kendra

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views