PCP Referral

dragonfly777
on 11/8/08 9:14 am
Hello,

This is my first post to OH.  I am so glad the internet is here to ask questions and get support. I have used online forums for other interests so why not this.

I am going to be 48 next year. I have spent half my life "obese".  I guess all those moves for jobs around the country with my ex transformed into an emotional eater. We divorced in 2000 and I thought the weight would melt off but no "divorce diet" diet for me. At my best during this decade I was 175, now I am up higher than ever to 245. A day doesn't go by that I don't think about my weight or feel the toll its taking on my body.

I have a great PCP doctor but she is SOOOOO conservative.  A few years ago I asked her to put me on Meridia and she wouldn't. I have an appt to talk to her on Tuesday (11/11) as I want to sign up for the Tufts/NEMC program. I dont think she is going to sign off on it. What are some things I can say that will help me in my case.

I have tried ww and all the others, she did test my thyroid on my last physical, no problems there.  My knees are starting to hurt, I am out of breath going up stairs,  heartburn, no energy, and high cholesterol (taking meds for that). I am at the point that if she won't do it I will switch doctors.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you.

Just Brooke
on 11/8/08 10:02 am
I wish I could help! My insurance didn't require a refferal so I was able to get my surgery without it. Have you checked with your insuracne to see if you need it?

NeedhamGal
on 11/8/08 10:22 am - MA
Where are you located?
I know in the past 4 years the medical community has become more accepting of WLSurgery. I know my PCP has always been open to it, but also told me that NWellesley Surgeons put on an information session for my local PCP group. Also, there was a big WLS symposium in Boston last year and many local doctors attended.
Don't write your doc off yet.--not til Tuesday.     If he/she won't budge, change Docs...for you don't want to be seeing your PCP in the future for other issues knowning he/she has a grudge if you were somehow able to get around her/him and get the surgery.
This WLS stuff can be heavy(no pun intended) and you need everyone on board with you.
If you are local I'de be happy to pass off my doc office's practice name to you.

Joan
MultiMom
on 11/8/08 10:44 am - NH
I thought that my PCP would be less than happy with my plans, but he suprised me and was fine with the referal. If yours is not, as you said, change PCP's. I am still early out but very happy with my decision.

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

dragonfly777
on 11/11/08 7:47 am
Well I met my doctor today and much to my surprise she filled out the form and faxed it right over. She wants me to go for some lab work tomorrow morning and she made room for me for my annual physical on Dec 26th.  So on Monday night I am attending the NEMC/Tufts informational seminar.  I am really excited to have cleared this hurdle. 
NeedhamGal
on 11/11/08 8:42 am - MA

Nice.....I really do believe more health professionals are on board with WLS.
I hope your journey goes well. Joan

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views