Dr. David Lautz Appt.

ElleTee
on 10/23/08 12:24 am
Hi all. I've been lurking a bit and appreciate the great info on all of these message boards.

I'm pre-op living in Southeast Mass. and I have an appt in 2 weeks with Dr. Lautz for my initial consultation. I'm excited yet nervous and am hoping some of you can give me the lowdown on what to expect.  I've researched pretty thoroughly and know I want the RNY and it appears that neither my BMI nor insurance will be issues.

Will I get a surgery date at the consultation? I think Eileen told me when I made the appt. that they are scheduling surgeries for 3 months or so after consultations.  Will I get a full physical?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

LT

NeedhamGal
on 10/23/08 2:24 am - MA
Hi LT,
Doc Lautz won't give you a full physical...his PA will do the basics , will order bloodwork, and there might need initial tests/scans for gallbladder,heart etc if the need be.   2 weeks before surgery you visit the Wiener center for preop and they do a complete check on you...urine and blood again.
I have had Doc Lautz for 4 years and I am happy he is my doctor. SOmetimes you have to wait a while at your appt....but I would rather wait and get a good doc than be rushed through and not have a skilled doc.

Most people who have Lautz are happy, and interestingly most people who go to support group are Doc Lautz' patients.

Email if I can answer or help.
Joan
ElleTee
on 10/24/08 3:12 am
Thanks so much for responding, Joan.  I appreciate the information.
Hondurian Queen
on 10/24/08 10:32 pm - BOSTON, MA
DrLautz did my revision from the band to RNY and he is amazing you are in good hands you do have to wait a while but it is worth it I did not get a surgery date until I went back to see him a second time.  I wish you muh success on your wls journey

nicunicu2002
on 10/25/08 6:17 am - Sharon, MA
Hi LT...

You are in great hands with Dr Lautz.  He is very kind, soft spoken and very dedicated.  He commits himself to research one day a week and does surgery/sees patients the rest of the week.  He is hard to get into sometimes, but definately worth the wait.  He will spend as much time with you as you need on the first inital consultation and will not make you feel rushed at all.  I checked this guy out prior to choosing him as my surgeon  and as a nurse, I wanted a top physician.  He does not do RNY's anywhere but the Brigham and says there is a reason for that.  If anything was to go wrong, he wants his patients in one of the top hospitals in Boston, and not somewhere like Faulkner.  His patients come first and it shows in the care that you receive.

Please email me if you have any questions that I can answer for you.  Good luck.

Kim

Valerieb09
on 10/25/08 11:20 am - Seacoast, NH
Hi,
Well I think he is about the best bariatric surgeon in Boston.  You will get your surgery date at your consultation, then Eileen will schedule all your preop tests for you.  I am from New Hampshire so got to do some up here at my local hospital.
By the way I am a revision from the lapband to the RNY.  The lapband did not work out at all for me and Dr. Lautz suggested a revision back in January.  I am doing really well with the RNY but not so well as Hondurian Queen...lol.  I have lost about 65 lbs. which is half of what I need to lose.
You are in the best of hands with him as your surgeon!  Its understandable to be nervous as this is an elective surgery with some risks.  I think you will be very happy with him as your surgeon and even happier after you have your surgery and the pounds melt away and they will.
Valerie
ElleTee
on 10/27/08 12:10 am
Thank you all so much!  You've put my mind at ease. I'll post back to let you know how things go.

LT
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views