Sleep Study?

jereyes
on 10/16/08 8:57 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Has anyone had a sleep study prior or after surgery for any reason?  I am almost 3 years post op and have been having medical issues since June after having PS.  I am scheduled for a sleep study 11/9 at LGH.  I was just wondering what to expect.  Do you actually get any sleep?  Did you go to work the next day?  Any inpute would be greatlt appreciated.
Janet
jayner
on 10/17/08 12:25 am - Littleton, MA
hi Janet,

I had a sleep study some years ago - not related to my RNY. I brought my own pillow and work clothes for the next day. You are pluuged into many wires, so you have to sleep on your back. I got very little sleep, but got up, took a shower and went to work the next day. The doctor was certain that I had sleep apnea, but found that I had restless legs.

Jayne

jereyes
on 10/17/08 1:22 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Jayne
Thanks for your response.  I hardly sleep as it is so I can't imagaine having this sleep study done.  I am not sure if I will attempt going to work or not as of yet.  I just hope they can tell what I have so I can get some sleep.
Janet
antonietta23
on 10/17/08 4:51 am - Holbrook, MA
I had my study years ago.  They hook you up to all kinds of wires. then you try and sleep, you actually do fall asleep but it is in a different enviorment and of course you toss for awhile.  They wake you up early and I took a shower and I  had my test in boston so my husband dropped me off and i took the train home.  I would not work if it is possible because it is a restless night.  Good luck you will do fine. 
jereyes
on 10/17/08 9:24 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Thanks for your rsponse.  I am just worried that I don't sleep in my own bed never mind in the hospital.  I am on meds to help me sleep and I can't take them the night of the study.  I will probably take the next day off rom work just due to being so tired.  Probably won't sleep during the day but hopefully I can relax some.  I live close enough I will drive myself to and from the hospital. 
Thanks again
Janet 
antonietta23
on 10/17/08 11:49 pm - Holbrook, MA
I will tell you that the cpap machine makes a big difference. it is hard at first to get use to but I felt wonderful after I started using it.  I remember when I went , it took about 45 minutes to hook you up and when he was done he said Ok time to sleep, and I laughed and said with all these wires. Wear a jogging suit that is comfortable, do not sweat it most people that go there do not sleep at home that is why some have the test,  and have the exact same concerns.  Its more of a pain to get hooked up then anything but they are use to it and very nice.  And take advantage of the shower to get the goop out of your hair,  you will feel better.  Have fun lol
jereyes
on 10/18/08 7:29 pm - Tyngsboro, MA
Can you get up to go to the bathroom?  I get up 2-3 times a night to use the bathroom.
antonietta23
on 10/19/08 1:20 am - Holbrook, MA
You remind me of myself, my biggest worry was that I had to go the bathroom, and of course the minute he finished hooking me up I had to go. It was not a big deal It was a funny sight.  I had all the same concerns.  You will do fine, I even wore a heavy pad as an extra security and of course I did not really need it.  You are in a room and the tech. is in the next room observing you and he can hear you call out.  I would fall asleep and then somehow I pull a lead off and then he would come in and fix it.  It is a restless night.  If you have any questions feel free to ask me.  It really is more of a pain in the neck but it is just one more test in our lives. 
jereyes
on 10/28/08 2:46 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Thanks for your response
I am glad that I have some basic information before going in.  I don't like the unknown.  I am sure I will be ine and just tired the next day.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views