Got a date

Susan M.
on 10/16/08 1:48 pm - MA
Hi all,

I'm new to this site.  I have a surgery date, 11/24.  It's been such a long process and I'm just glad to have a date, even though it's 3 days before Thanksgiving! :)

Anyway, should I be calling the insurance company to see if it's been approved?  or should wait for the surgeon's office to call?

:)
Sue M.
on 10/16/08 2:13 pm - Nantucket, MA
Welcome!  And congrats on a date!  i'm surprised you have a surgery date without approval...so you may want to double-check with the office.

my surgery is on the 12th, so I actually had Thanksgiving dinner tonight!  We had family in from out of town so we celebrated.  :)
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Jecca
on 10/16/08 3:22 pm - Natick, MA

Hi there,

Welcome!  I am new also and my surgery date is 11/24, too! 

I was given a 'tentative' surgery date before I was officially approved by my insurance company.  My surgeon's office didnt expect any problems with my case and my insurance company.  I was approved a few days later and received a letter from my insurance company. 

My surgeon's office didnt call to tell me I was officially approved, so you may want to call them or your insurance company.  A lot of insurance companies now allow you to have access to your insurance account online - that is how many found out they were approved! 

Good luck! 

ks4
on 10/17/08 3:58 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hello and welcome!  Congratulations on making the journey to a healthier you!

I'm suprised you have a surgery date without having insurance approval.  Unless your surgeon's office knows the type of insurance you have well and isn't concerned about it not being covered.  If I were you, I would call to double check though.  You wouldn't want any suprise bills in the mail around Christmas time.

Best of luck to you.
~Kendra

rockysmom
on 10/17/08 6:22 am - Dartmouth, MA
Hi and welcome,
I also got a date before the insurance approval.  The surgeon's office was certain there would be no problem.  I think they know what to expect from the insurance companies.  I have Harvard-Pilgrim, and my approval came about a week after the consultation visit with the surgeon.  - No problems at all!
Best of luck,
Anne-Marie
NeedhamGal
on 10/17/08 10:38 am - MA
My doctor's office gives you a date and submits for insurance with that date. The insurance approval is then written to that specific date.

I am all for information sharing.  To be just down right certain..I would call the insurance company to re-check  your approval.

When I had bluecross..they told me on the phone. When I had tufts, they told me on the phone and the next day it was on the self help internet site, AND they sent me an approval letter in the mail.

Don't worry about the few days before Tgiving. You will definetly give thanks for having this surgery.  There will always be other T givning days and you will realize the holidays are more for family and the food is secondary.

I wish you well. Joan
Susan M.
on 10/17/08 12:55 pm - MA

Thanks for all your responses :)

The surgeon's office said the insurance company needs a date before my information could be submitted.  I am going to call the insurace company this week.  I can't stand waiting. :)
It just makes me nervous because I've heard some horror stories some ppl have experienced
with insurance companies.

Joanne P.
on 10/19/08 8:50 am - Provincetown, MA

Hi Sue & Congratulations on your surgery date!  When I received mine (11/10), I called back to make sure that the insurance company had given approval, since I didn't want any unpleasant surprises.  It turns out they did.  I have Harvard Pilgrim, and there was no problem whatsoever.

By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, I'll be able to sit down to a nice tablespoon of pureed turkey and maybe some squished squash!  YUMM!!!

Susan M.
on 10/20/08 1:06 pm - MA
Hi Joanne!
Thanks and congrats!  I wish you luck with your surgery.  I called my ins company today and the woman said that she didn't see anything approved yet.  She couldn't tell me anything else.  I'm going to call my surgeon's office tomorow and see if they have heard anything. 

:)
MultiMom
on 10/20/08 9:05 pm - NH
I called my insurance company last Friday to check on my approval status, and they told me it was still pending. On Saturday I got the approval letter in the mail and it was dated Tuesday. I can't figure that one out, but I'm not complaining! I have the letter in hand and surgery in 6 days and 25 minutes (but who's counting )!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views