the day before surgery...

AwesomeForever
on 10/14/08 10:38 am - Marlborough, MA
Sorry Sue this happens to much to me..

disappearing post until I decide to rewrite   and modify   cause I cannot remember from second to second

and then both show up   so here are three posts from me

Sorry, I had the day off by myself except for the appointment

oh...I was weird...did not check floor level where I parked   just wanted to get through the maze of Newton Wellesley   and was up how many floors on the garage   I usually park on the first level and walk through

So I told Nancy  I am okay but I may have lost my car

One time I went to Lowell and parked  went to a play with my youngest grandson   when I came back I went down one level  and not up   so my first thought was someone stole my car!!!  it was two years old    then what will I do   cause we had spent so much time getting out of the theatre   concessions and bathroom stops   so would anyone be there if I went back   

let me keep looking...

so now I know and should have written down where I was    I see (post doctor's visit) that there are business cards that are posted right near the door   so had I not be in such a confused state parking out of my element  4th floor up   I may have known to look...

I wish a Garmin would work at the Hospital  lol

I found my car  just had to check two levels  

I almost called the office back to say  yes I did find my car
Discovery02466
on 10/14/08 11:49 am - Newton, MA
Hi Sue-
I had surgery on a Tuesday...My Mom was coming in from Florida to help me, so I had to pick her up at the airport on Monday or else I would have gone to work...I did not have a bowel prep either, just nothing to eat after midnight and I did do modified liquid diet for 2 weeks prior (shakes during the day and a healthy dinner)....I technically just took off 8 days from work...My surgery was two days before Thanksgiving, so we had two days off that week anyway, and five days off the next week...I could have gone back to work after five days, but my boss told me not to come in and to rest!  Are you off for six weeks just to be cautious or did your doctor recommend it?  Just curious...I don't have a desk job and went back pretty quickly...Granted, the door was open for more time off if I needed it...I might have killed myself if I was home for that long! Lol

~Jenn

Sue M.
on 10/14/08 12:00 pm - Nantucket, MA
Jenn,
Newton-Wellesley recommends 4-6 weeks off.  Even with a desk job, they want people to take time to learn how to eat and get used to all the liquids, etc.  i have been so frustrated at work lately that i intend to take every last minute i can get.  I'm hoping that i'll be dying to return come late December.  Zeke is actually planning to have a partial knee replacement right before Christmas, so i will be feeling pretty good (hopefully) by then and will be still out of work to take care of him.
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Discovery02466
on 10/14/08 12:20 pm - Newton, MA
Sounds like a good plan of action for everyone!  The 12th will be here before you know it!

~Jenn

ks4
on 10/15/08 7:54 am - Fitchburg, MA
I just did my normal thing during the day and then I couldn't eat or drink anything after a certain hour.  I think it might have been like midnight or something.  (I had my surgery on a Thursday).  The only thing I did Wednesday night differently is go shopping for all the last minute things I'd need for when I returned home.  I made sure I had carnation instant breakfast and jello and SF pops and such.

You're going to do fine.  Don't stress over it.

~Kendra

jalapeno
on 10/15/08 2:38 pm - Weston, MA
I had my surgery (lap RNY) on 10/1, so I've just passed the 2 week mark.  I had it at MGH and the pre-op protocol was eat normally 2 days before, but take 2 OTC laxatives (I took Ducolax)  which certainly cleaned me out.  I took them at about 4 in the afternoon and did a LOT of pooping that night.  Then the protocol for the day before was clear liquids, and nothing after midnight.  I was even told to rinse and spit, but not swallow, when I brushed my teeth the morning of the surgery. 
I went to work the day before (had a TON of stuff to get done) and went through an entire 32 oz container of Wolfgang Puck brand chicken stock, which I highly recommend-- it's delicious.  The one thing I wish I'd done pre-op was pay more attention to cleaning up my bedroom and getting my house in order.  Once you come home from the hospital you can't lift anything for 4-6 weeks, so it's much easier to do the clean-up pre- rather than post-op.  And much nicer to have a more pleasant enviroment in which to recover.  Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views