Therapist/counsellor

lori042499
on 10/9/08 4:29 am - Revere, MA
I am looking for a good therapist that may specialize in obesity, eating disorders etc...

I called my dr's office and they had no one for referral...I was floored by this...

I have been looking online for someone near my home but they are all family counsel...

I cannot believe that I am the first patient at the newton wellesley hospital to ask for additional therapy...Is this uncommon??

Does anyone else see a therapist other than group meetings???
Lori 06/30/2008
445/366/170
highest/pre surgery/goal

jayner
on 10/9/08 7:07 am, edited 10/9/08 7:08 am - Littleton, MA
hi Lori,

The best way to seek a conselor is by word of mouth. However, if you have no luck, there is a well-respected website that may help. It is called something-fishy. Here is a link:
http://www.something-fishy.org

There are links to conselors in the area.

There is also a group in Newton called Multi-service Eating Disorders Association (MEDA).
 http://www.medainc.org/
I
used to go to an obsessive-compulsive group session that they held in Acton. The group disbanded when MEDA decided to change their fee structure - making it needs based. Those of us who knew that we would not qualify  and found that the new fees were absurd, quit as we didn't feel we should have to subsidize the rest of the group. It appears that they are back to their $15 per session fee. I believe the group was formerly called Massachusetts Eating Disorders Association.

I have gone through years of therapy for my eating disorder. Look at my page to find out about my struggle. Feel free to contact me directly.

best wishes,

Jayne

Just Brooke
on 10/9/08 9:11 am
I see a counselor 2-3 times a month. We don't really discuss weight/food/surgery issues since she isn't familar with it (and she's like a size 4) but we talk about things that happened in the past which lead to emotional eating and weight gain and that helps!

Other than that I don't know what to suggest in finding someone that specialized in obesity and eating disorders.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views