Springfield, Massachusetts area

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/08 11:21 am
Hi, My name is Mary and I am from Agawam.  I am just at the beginning plans of having surgery.  I went to one "seminar" by a local doctor.  It was suppose to be a bariatric surgery seminar, but I felt it was a "lapband" seminar. 

I understand the pros and cons of both the lapband and the RNY.  But I want a doctor that is going to say "this is all about lapband" and "this is all about Gastric Bypass and then work with me to make my decision. (I really think I want RNY)

I go for another appointment with a different doctor on Monday, October 6th.

IF the lapband would give the results that the RNY gave and the results 5 years out were as good with the Lapband vs the RNY, I would prob lean towards the band.

My sister-in-law did the RNY in June 2007 and she has gone from a size 28 to a size 8.

I had a boss in California that did this surgery 10 years ago.  I am trying to contact her to see how she is now.

I am open to both but i want results - fast - permanent - now!

The process that I have to go thru to get approved for surgery is painful (mentally) - I hate that I have to go thru a "process" in order to get this done!

I am looking for other people to chat with in the area or if anyone has any input - I'm listening!

thanks
Mary

TAVERNIA
on 10/5/08 10:35 pm - EAST OTIS, MA
HI
I had lapband 2 1/2 years ago and lost140#  in 1 1/2 years.  I have a friend that had rny a 1 1/2 before me and has lost only 120# and still has a lot more to go.  With the lapband it is adjustable.  I went from a size 22 tight to a 4 and I am 5'7" tall. if you have any more questions just post. Goodluck with your journey.  There aremany ups and downs but remember nothing taste as good as thin does
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/08 11:26 pm
Hi, Who did your surgery?
ks4
on 10/7/08 2:38 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Mary,

Congratuations on beginning your journey to a healthier you.  I can't give you any information on the lap band, but I can tell you that everyone's experience with any kind of WLS is going to be different.  Personally for me, I had the RNY and I've lost 120 lbs in 13 months.  It is the best decision I have made for my health and and very pleased with my results so far.

Keep doing your research and you'll find which will be the best option for you.

~Kendra

Monica B.
on 10/7/08 7:23 am - Emery, SD
I had RNY with Dr.Faillo. He is fabulous and very competent with a wonderful bedside manner. I went from 330 too 137 and I am now 61.

TAVERNIA
on 10/7/08 10:30 am - EAST OTIS, MA

Tammy here.  Dr. Haag of Pioneer valley Surgical Group.  Dr. Fiallo  is also in this group and is also very good.  When I went for my firstmeetingIwas confused to, but go make a appointment with the Dr. and talk one on one it will help.
Good Luck just emailif you have any questions.
Tammy Saloomey tavernia
Starting wieght 307# if notmore!!!!
Day of surgery 270#
Today 140# size 4

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/08 12:44 pm
Thank you so much - I hadn't heard of Pioneer Surgical.  I have heard of Dr. Fialo.  He is also with Baystate Surgical, along with Dr. Kuhn, Dr Romanelli & Dr. Haag.  I have my nutritionist appointment set for Thursday October 9th.  I went to a support group meeting tonight.  I dont know who the surgeon will be as of yet.  I am excited and nervous.  I try to block out all the bad things that could happen and think positive. 

I had problems with being a bleeder and needing transfusions after a miscarriage but there were cir****tances with that and i dont think I would have those problems with this surgery.  I will just be open and honest!

Thank you for sharing with me

lisadill
on 10/16/08 2:37 am - monson, MA
Hi, I am Lisa, I had Dr. Haag and he was great.  I had no problems with the surgery.  The biggest thing I had was the TV in the hospital room when I was recovering.  The food commercials were really the hardest thing to overcome.  I lost 100 lbs in 6 months with the RNY by lapriscoptic.  At 2 weeks out, I started to vomit, and I had not at all before.  I ended up going back to the hospital, and Dr Haag was right there with me in the ER.  He opened me back up in the same incisions, and found I had a blocked intestine because of scar tissue.  He fixed it and I was fine.  His sister actually delivered my first child, so he was extra freindly to me.  His office staff can be sometimes a little off, but I didn't care, I was there for me, not them.  I have Health New England Insurance and I was approved in 2 weeks, and I had my surgery at Baystate Health.  I actually went to Dr Coe's support groups, at the time I didn't know about Dr Haag.  Dr. Coe's waiting list was about a 7 month wait just to get a appointment.  I had one with Dr. Haag within a week.  They were great.  Good Luck
(deactivated member)
on 10/16/08 4:15 am
Thank you Lisa.  Dr Coe has retired.  I have met with the dietician and I weighed in.  I go for my Psych Analysis on October 27th and then I meet back with the dietician in November and then I meet Dr. Kuhn on December 12th.  I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and they do not have a waiting time that I must wait.  I am going to try to get in 2 support groups (at least) a month and am trying to do all I am suppose to do now.

The waiting is the hardest for me right now.

thank you
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views