need advice and support please....

nicunicu2002
on 9/18/08 11:09 pm - Sharon, MA
I had lap-rny apprx 3 weeks ago.  I did great for those 3 weeks, well as great as can be expected.  My weight was dropping off, about a lb a day after surgery.  Now, I think I hit that dreaded 'stall'.  Ive been up and down 1-2 lbs for about a week now and its driving me crazy.  Im not getting all of my H20 in, but I am my protein.  Im taking all my nutritional supps and getting excercise almost daily (walking).  Has anyone experienced this?  Im afraid this morning that maybe this isnt going to work for me.  I know its silly, but Im just dissapointed at the moment.  Maybe my body is in shock or something, but it definately seems like its slowed considerably since I started my soft/mushy stage.  I didnt think I would start hitting a stall this early out.  Any suggestions??  I know I need to quit weighing everyday.  Ive got to stop stop stop.  Maybe once a week?  ugggggg grrrrrrr!!!!!!

kim

janielee65
on 9/19/08 1:43 am - Mansfield, MA
I am just a little over 7 weeks post op and the one thing I did learn is not to weigh yourself everyday. I got weighed the morning or surgery and then did not step on the scale until my 2 week post op check up. After that, I started weighing myself daily but found it can be discouraging because on Monday I could be down 2 lbs and tuesday be up 2 . Now i weight mu self once a week, (usually every monday morning). I would definatley get your fluid in first.
nicunicu2002
on 9/19/08 3:26 am - Sharon, MA
Thanks for the advice.  I will definately work on the fluid intake and quit weighing myself so often.

kim

janielee65
on 9/19/08 3:57 am - Mansfield, MA
I am sure it will help.  I have had so many people from this site help me with some really crazy questions.  But,  I love the way that so many people will give you their input, it is so helpful. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Janie
nicunicu2002
on 9/21/08 8:22 am - Sharon, MA
Thanks Janie...this is a great place to come for support and advice. 

kim

NeedhamGal
on 9/19/08 11:34 am - MA
Hi Kim...I could have written your same posting when I was 3 weeks as well.  I had lost a some initially post op...then it stopped. I wondered...how can I eat so little and not loose any weight. DId Dr.Lautz really re-route my insides?
Then one day...I lost 3 pounds--and then another week went by with nothing.  Talk about a short lived happiness.   I will say I jump on the scale every morning...but I don't get bummed. The scale does move on it's own time.   Today, I am down another 2 pounds from last week-for a total of 33 pounds for 9 weeks.  I know there are others out there that are loosing much faster than I am, but heck...the scale is moving in the right direction and for me that is really what matters.
Hang in there...as long as you aren't chowing down the scale will move.  If you have the courage and patience to go on the scale once a week that is the best. When I came home from vacation a few weeks ago..the scale moved big time...it was a joy.
I hope this helps you along.......for you are not alone!
jOAN

nicunicu2002
on 9/21/08 8:22 am - Sharon, MA
Thanks Joan...your always the voice of reason for me.  You definately made me feel better and most reassured.

kim

rockysmom
on 9/19/08 12:03 pm - Dartmouth, MA
Three weeks out is very early!  It is so hard to be patient in the beginning, but you WILL lose the weight.  I think everyone struggles with being tortured by the scale.  It is very normal for your weight to vary 1 to 3 pounds at different times of the day, you can be retaining water, etc. -- so weighing every day is a bad idea.  If you can bring yourself to do it, give your scale to a friend or relative and go weigh yourself once a month.  I don't know if you're still out of work, but I found that it got easier for me after I went back to work.  I had something to do / think about besides obsesssing over the scale.  It works for everyone - you will lose weight at you body's own pace. 
nicunicu2002
on 9/21/08 8:24 am - Sharon, MA
well so far Ive got the scale in the closet and so far its working.  i think you are right, it will help when i get back to work, because right now, i have nothing to do really but think about what im going to eat, how much im eating etc and focused on the weight loss....im sure it will get better.  thank you for the advice.

kim

ks4
on 9/22/08 2:35 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Kim,

I'm 13 months out and I've had my fair share of stalls.  Finally just broke through a three month stall.  They can be very frustrating.  For me, I weigh myself everyday regardless of what others say...it keeps me in check.  Not so much to get me down, but keeps me in line.

A stall at three weeks out is normal.  You're body needs to catch up with all that it's gone through.  Your tool will work for you, just give it some time.

~Kendra

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views