Partial Small Bowel Obstruction

ks4
on 9/18/08 3:35 am, edited 9/19/08 7:01 am - Fitchburg, MA
FINALLY AN EXPLANTION!!!!  My PCP called me a few minutes ago with the radiologists results from the x-ray I had at the ER the other night.  They found a partial small bowel obstruction.  My PCP said that this explains why I'm having the excrutiating belly pain, but not all the time.  She's sending me for an upper GI with SMFT (small bowel follow through).  That way they can determine it's exact location and the severity.  Once I get the results back from that, I'll be following up with my surgeon.

So I'm not crazy....there is a reason behind all my pain.  Now onto getting it fixed...

~Kendra

*****UPDATE*****

Dr. Partridge just called me and said she knows exactly what is wrong and wants me to have laproscopic surgery to close the hernia (window) that is causing the bowel obstruction.  She said it is very common.  So tomorrow I'll be calling the office and scheduling that, but Dr. Partridge is going to speak with my PCP first and talk to me more about it also to fully answer any and all questions (over the phone) so I don't have to close my daycare and be out another $200 just to talk.

*****UPDATE***** 9/19/08, 5:00pm
I will be having surgery this coming Tuesday.  If all goes well, I should be going home sometime Wednesday.   Skipping the upper GI and going straight to surgery.  Wish me luck!!

Thank you to all of you for your concern and well wishes.  It is very much appreciated!

~Kendra

KellyMASS
on 9/18/08 3:58 am, edited 9/21/08 1:31 am - MA
Well you must be glad to know what it is .. does that require surgery?

9/21.. Kendra thank you for keeping us all updated on what is going on with you.. I hope all goes well and that you feel much better afterwards.
~Kelly
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Katsnewday
on 9/18/08 9:44 am - Ayer, MA
I am glad they figured it out. Take care of yourself.  I hope they fix it quickly for you. 

Kat

ks4
on 9/18/08 11:05 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Katsnewday,

Thanks so much.  I hope they fix me quickly too.  I never know when the pain is gonna hit me.  One day it's ok, the next it's excruciating.

~Kendra

Discovery02466
on 9/18/08 10:47 am - Newton, MA
Oh Kendra!  So sorry you have to go through this and another surgery...At least some relief is on the way!  Let me know when and I would be happy to come visit you at NWH!

~Jenn

ks4
on 9/18/08 11:12 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Jen,

Thanks so much.  I should find out tomorrow when my surgery will be.  I'm hoping it'll be Thursday.

ttyl,
Kendra

jayner
on 9/18/08 12:10 pm - Littleton, MA
oh sweetie,

You have gone through so much! I wonder if there is any connection with this and the E Coli. My sister is still recovering from the effects of her Shigella. She spoke with a public health nurse who specializes in poisoning who told her that 8 or 9 months is still recovery time from these poisonings.

What a relief to finally have an answer.

Jayne

ks4
on 9/19/08 6:59 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Jayne,

I never thought that it could have a connection with the e-coli.  I'll have to ask.  Thanks for the reminder! 

Thank you,
Kendra

Girl ..
on 9/18/08 1:24 pm - MA
I am so sorry to hear that you have to go in for surgery Kendra, but happy to hear you know what the problem is.  Best wishes this week and hope you are home soon with no episodic pain!

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

ks4
on 9/19/08 7:00 am - Fitchburg, MA
hi Julie,

Thank you very much.  I hope it stops all the problems and there will be no reoccurances.

Thank you,
Kendra

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views