How to tell people at work - 5 months later..

rockysmom
on 9/6/08 5:39 am - Dartmouth, MA
Does anyone have suggestions on how to tell people at work that I had wls?  At first, I didn't want to tell people at work, mainly because I was new to the office and didn't know anyone well enough to feel comfortable discussing it.  Five months later, I am constantly being complimented and asked: "what diet are you doing?", "how are you doing it?", etc.  I would like to tell everyone, especially those who are very obese and are telling me that they have tried and tried to lose, and gained it back. I feel very uncomfortable talking about my exercising - I feel like I'm misleading people.  They think I'm some sort of super diet/exercise guru!  Any advise on how to handle this?  I'm afraid people will think I'm a big fraud!
antonietta23
on 9/6/08 7:10 am - Holbrook, MA
Just tell them, Explain that you were not comfortable in the beginning and just let them know.  I have workers that I know have had it done and they lie.  It really irks me, I think you will feel better once you tell them, I do not hide it myself, I am comfortable with my descions
rockysmom
on 9/6/08 9:35 am - Dartmouth, MA
I've never actually lied -- no one has asked if I had wls.  I guess I just have to explain why I kept it to myself.  I know I will feel better when people know.  I guess I didn't realize that losing weight would cause so much attention to be focused on me.  Thanks for the advice!
alfkabella
on 9/7/08 7:59 am - Wollaston, MA
I usually say  "Oh the usual...diet, exercise and a little help from my gastric bypass surgeon"!!.  Which is true.....I'm careful with what I eat....I exercise a lot and the surgical aspect is a tool to use.   Yes ...it's amazing all the attention....I'm still not used to it.
rockysmom
on 9/7/08 11:36 am - Dartmouth, MA
That's a great line.  I will definitely use it!!  You are so right about the diet and exercise.  I have found that I can eat sweets and fatty foods, but I am being EXTREMELY careful to avoid them.  I only allow myself 3 small bites of a dessert - and only on special occasions, and I am getting up at 5:00 am 3 days a week to exercise.  The difference is the wls makes it so much easier to put the fork down after that 3rd bite.  Once I'm done, I'm not thinking about it  ( and wanting more ) for the rest of the day.  Thanks for the help!
antonietta23
on 9/8/08 3:19 am - Holbrook, MA
This is work, it is not something we can ever put are guard down.  We work hard to get down and stay down.  Your are smart  just having a few bites, it is what thin people do. We have to think of that,  I wish you the best of luck
jayner
on 9/8/08 6:06 am - Littleton, MA

I have taught myself that the first bite of anything is always the best!

janielee65
on 9/11/08 6:04 am - Mansfield, MA
I have a really dumb question for you.  How do you get that picture on the botton showing your progress?
janielee65
on 9/11/08 6:03 am - Mansfield, MA
I think you should just tell them the next time you are asked.  It might help someone else make the decision on whether or not they want to have wls. 
AwesomeForever
on 9/11/08 8:06 am - Marlborough, MA
I have told many people at work but not all. I told many prior to the surgery. Oh, and I was losing weight before the surgery. In fact, many would ask me how I did it.

My mind is made up that this surgery works for me...so whatever anyone says will just bounce off me and...you know, what we used to say when we were children when people would make remarks to hurt or just sting us we pretended that we could bounce the hurt away. I think by now we have established our own personal buffer zone and our ability to handle the questions are less emotional than when we are first post op. I fretted what would happen when I returned to work. Yet, no negative comments have come my way.

You can tell certain people at work in a small setting. Not everyone you see on the workroom floor...or office needs to know. I mean, word does get around.

Now, I tell strangers...like the lady at the fitting rooms in Walmart. I had just tried on 12s and they fit! I told her that there was a pair of 14s that were on the 12s hanger. I was so proud of losing my excess weight that I said that I had looked at the 12s and was not sure they would fit. Yes, they did.

I already had a pair of 12s in white capris that I had worn on my trip in August to Washington DC. Now, I needed pants that I could wear to church, and hanging out pants for these cool nights.

So, I was boasting...you are right. Yet, when she asked how I did it...I said, watching what I ate, and recording it, exercise, and gastric bypass surgery in January.

Like my friend said, just tell them that you are really working hard at losing weight.

Linda

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views