Why am I so hungry?

Carol M.
on 8/25/08 6:06 am - Nashua, NH
My surgery is scheduled for 9/16, and I have been doing very well with eating right, avoiding sweets and snacks in preperation.  I even managed to lose 5 lbs over the last month.  Why all of a sudden am I absolutely starving???  This weekend was a disaster for food, I practically grazed every hour in the evenings before I went to bed.  I even gave in and had half of a Molten Chocolate Cake at Chili's on Saturday.   It seems like if I sat still, I realized I was starving and would have to eat.

Could this be hormones/PMS?  I have always had issues with being hungry, but it never seemed to worsen with PMS, could that be changing?  It seems worse now than before.  I even found myself gulping drinks instead of sipping.  I have been terribly thirsty, but I haven't been sweating more or working physically harder than usual.  I have been very diligent about not gulping, but something seems to have gone haywire this past weekend. 

Has anyone else had this happen?  Is this normal?  I tried drinking protein shakes thinking something needed a boost.  But it only helped for about an hour and I was hungry again. 
KellyMASS
on 8/25/08 8:59 am - MA
Well you know you are having surgery soon .. and maybe your "head" and stomcah realize this too. So maybe in a way you're making up for having surgery. If you feel hunger drink water.. it's better than eating everything in sight.. also .. keep bad foods out of the house.. it'll help for after surgery too .. If you have children and need snacks .. gear towards more of a healthy choice for them and you... Before I had surgery .. maybe the week before I almost felt like this was my last chance.. " last supper" we all deal with this.. it is very common. Just reach for the water.. and sip slow because you will not be able to gulp after surgery at all.
I hope everything works out for you and I wish you all the best.
~Kelly 
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

wicked aries
on 8/26/08 8:22 am - MA
Have you been tested for diabetes? The hunger and thirst are signs, not trying to scare you....and I also tended to pig out more before my period, always craved salty and sweet things...Good Luck on your surgery!
Count your blessings, not your worries

Carol M.
on 8/26/08 1:13 pm - Nashua, NH
Yes, I have been checked, so far so good, no diabetes.  I am hoping this is just hormones due to PMS.  Lots of changes are happening now, stress and anxiety are abundant while I wait to have my surgery. 

wicked aries
on 8/26/08 4:12 pm - MA
Good to hear, it's just the PMS (that's what I used to blame it on...lol) Now i have to make myself eat! Good Luck on your surgery...it will change your life for the better!
Count your blessings, not your worries

Katsnewday
on 8/27/08 1:51 am - Ayer, MA
Hi Carol,  we are having our surgery the same day.  I am having the same problem.  For me, it is definitely head hunger.  I have had moments, where the light goes on, and I catch myself.  I called my NUT, and the MH provider at the surgical weight loss center at Emerson, where I am going, and talked with them.  I was afraid they would cancel my surgery!  They were supportive, just what I needed to get back on track.  It is very hard, when your hormones are acting out, and you have added stress.  My stress was the loss of a close family member....just enough to send me over the edge food wise.  Old habits die hard.  Then I was beating up on myself, which made it worse!  Then last....those little voices in my head saying....."its ok.....eat up.....you wont be able to do this after your surgery.....enjoy....."  those voices are powerful. 

Hang in there. 

Kat

Carol M.
on 8/27/08 4:29 am - Nashua, NH
I hear those voices too.  It's been hard but today I have been successful ignoring them.  My stomach is still growling because it's empty and I keep sipping my water like a good girl.  I have really worked on not eating every hour.  I have also increased my workout at the gym for the last two days to burn off the extra calories I have been ingesting, so far, no weight gain.  Then again, I have to tell myself that daily weight checks don't mean anything.  It's the scale at the doctor's office that is the authority, not mine. 

patsfan334
on 8/27/08 6:23 pm
hi kelly i was just reading profiles im going for revision at Bwh sept 17 can you give input on what to exspect after surgery. on first day post -op . thank you
broadwaymom83
on 8/30/08 1:44 am
my guess is it's probably stress, your right could be pms. But also the mind is a powerfull thing you might not think to much about it. but honestly you know that your not going to be having molten lava cake after surgery. Some people go through the have it before i never have it thing. I had cravings for sooooo many things.  then imdediatly after surgery i saw people eating these things. and i was like damnit now i can never do it why the hell didn't i eat it. and i would get pissy. ( i know why i didn't eat it. it's cause i was serious about surgery)... it's weird how your head will play tricks on you. Just choose to make the right decissions. Now i don't care if someone eats cake. or ice cream or my fav. (fruity candy ). doesn't phase me much. (although almost every food did while i was on the puree diet. now that i can eat real food i'm fine iwth it all!

hope things get better. oh and when you have a craving. start doing something different . they say cravings. are time limited.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views