X-Post Hypoglycemic?

ks4
on 8/13/08 11:39 am - Fitchburg, MA

Today was an ordinary day when I woke up.  Did my normal routine then got hungry so I had breakfast.  I had a bowl of Hi-Protein Crunch cereal with a little Simply smart milk and a half of banana.  No biggie, I've had that before.  Well about 45 minutes after I ate, I was shakey, my legs felt like rubber I was hot and sweaty and felt like I was going to pass out.  I happen to still have my glucometer from when I had diabetes a long time ago so I checked my blood sugar.  It was 50.  I called my surgeon's office and Nancy the nurse said I needed to have some orange juice or some kind of sugar right away.  So while I was on the phone with her I had about 8 oz of apple juice, a cheese stick, an egg and an apple.  I felt awful I was so stuffed.  I could barely move.  Checked my blood sugar again and it was 95.  95 is a level I should be at before I eat, not after I ate.   I'm also extremly dehydrated.  My own fault.  Lack of fluids yesterday has caught up with me today.  I'm really trying to get the fluids in right now.  I've had almost 40 oz so far.  Getting my fluids in is something I've always struggled with.  I'm feeling much better now that I was earlier, but I'm still not at 100%.  My pcp just called and is very concerned that I'm not eating enough.  I shouldn't of had that low of a blood sugar after eating breakfast so she has called me in a script for more lancets and test strips and wants me to test my blood before I go to bed and depending on what that number is, I may have to eat.  It's so strange being on this side of the spectrum whereas last year my numbers were sky high.

Girl ..
on 8/16/08 11:12 am - MA
This is definitely one of teh scarier potential side effects that i have read about Kendra.  It is bizarre considering that most of us had such high blood sugars previously.  Is this a first for you since the surgery?..

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

ks4
on 8/18/08 12:47 am - Fitchburg, MA
Yea it was scary and yes it was the first time I had low blood sugar.

Claudined
on 9/4/08 4:57 am - Malden, MA

KS4
I would love to hear more about how you are managing your hypoglycemia.  I also developed post RNY Hypoglycemia.  I did some research and it is a rare side effect of the RNY.  When it first started happening I thought I was having seizures, it is very scary.  I did not have a history of diabetes prior to surgery, so this blood sugar thing is completely new to me. 

Some advice my doctor gave me was to compartmentalize when I eat, for example, eat the proteins first, then the vegies, then the carbs.  This is a pain to eat this way, but it did seem to help.  He also recommended increasing the amount of fiber in my diet. 

I still get pretty frustrated because I never know when one of the "episodes" is going to happen.  I am very active, and I find the more active i am the more chance of a random attack.  I now keep glucoburst with me all the time in case my sugar drops. 

I'm very interested in what you have found out and how you are managing it.  I havn't met anyone else who is having the same issue. 

thanks

ks4
on 9/4/08 8:12 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi Claudined,

I seem to be more prone to it when I'm more active as well.  Now instead of getting up and just heading to the gym, I now have a protein bar before I go that way I know my levels are good and don't drop while I'm working out.  Lots of fluids and more snacks instead of three meals a day.  I can feel it if my blood sugar is getting low.  I get the shakes.  I have a glucometer so I check my blood as often as needed, but there are times that I have checked it and it was low but I didn't feel as though it was.  So I guess you could say I'm managing it with food.  When I have my meals, I always eat all the protein first, then the veggies, then the carbs if I still have room.  Unless of course the meal is a mixed together kind of dish.

I've never had a seizure (that I know of) and personally don't know what it feels like to have one, but both my husband and son have epilepsy so I know what a black out seizure looks like.

Hope this helps.
Take Care!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views