New here & have lots of questions

robin91
on 8/5/08 11:55 am
Hi, all - I'm new to this forum and I've got a million questions.  

First some background - I"m 5'10" and weigh 351.  Need to loose at least 100#   My surgeon prefers me to have Lapband because I am recovering from breast cancer.  I was diappointed at first but I want to keep an open mind.   

Are you happy with Lapband?  Why did you choose it over Gastric Bypass?

How does it help you with hunger?   Any regrets?

Thank you all! 
sandra267
on 8/5/08 1:17 pm - hyde park, MA

I am not banded yet.  I just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck on your journey.   You can lose the weight with lapband.  Lots of people on this site have lost over 100 pounds.  Good luck.

robin91
on 8/5/08 11:52 pm

Thanks, Sandra! 

I'm so confused!  Not sure what method to do but my doctor prefers Lapband.  

I see you've already lost 29 lbs.  Are you dieting on your own?  Do you have a date yet?

I see your in Hyde Park.  I grew up in JP.    Are you having your eventual surgery at the Faulkner? 
I've been going there.

sandra267
on 8/6/08 2:38 pm - hyde park, MA
I told my surgeon I was only interested in the lapband.  I exercise and don't have a terrible diet.  The 29 on my signature was miles not pounds.  I am trying to stay motivated at the gym.  My doctor only wants me to lose 5 pound before surgery so I am jus****ching it.  I was going to go to Faulkner but Brighams and women was a better fit.  Brighams surgeons operate at faulkners too.  They are sister hospitals.  Good luck on your journey.
Sandra

NeedhamGal
on 8/6/08 12:30 am - MA

Welcome!

If you want the RNY, you should seek another Doctor's opinion.   If the 2nd doctor also agrees, you need to fully understand why....so you don't feel like you are "stuck" with something you didn't really want.   I wouldn't go forward until I was fully onboard with the decision.

You might not even need to make a doctor's appointment....often at the Hospital's Info Sessions there is a doctor there to answer questions, and you could pose the question at the info session.

Good luck in your journey.

Joan

robin91
on 8/6/08 12:40 am, edited 8/6/08 4:16 am
Thanks, Joan.  My medical oncologist doesn't really agree with this surgeon.  So, technically, I've got 2 opinions.  I guess that's why I'm confused.  

I've already attended an info session.  They refer to Gastric bypass as "The Gold Standard".   After attending, I decided on GB since they indicated you lose more when with it when dieting and exercising.  I dunno....

The surgeon told me that there are reports coming out of Austrailia that say there is conclusive evidence that Lapband patients tend to keep their weight off with more success 5+ years out.  

I don't think if I choose Lapband I'm really settling.  Yes, it's not what I intended to have but at least it will a tool to help me get back into shape again.  

Oh, and I don't want anyone here to think I am minimizing Lapband and its success.  I know it is also a very successful tool. 

Thanks again! 

rockysmom
on 8/6/08 6:56 am - Dartmouth, MA
My surgeon said both methods are good -- it was my choice.  I chose RNY mainly because I felt that fills and adjustments on the band would get to be a big PITA for me, expecially where my surgeon is in Boston and I live in Dartmouth.  I was told that the weight loss is quicker with gastric bypass, but the long term results are comparable.  Some people have been known to "eat around the band", but I wasn't worried about that.  Over all, the band seems to be less risky - but a lot of people do seem to get revisions to RNY from the band.  I don't know how the history of breast cancer would factor in to it -- you should ask your surgeon to explain that.  I am 4 months out and am practically never hungry -- sometimes a little but quickly satisfied with small amounts of food.  I can eat anything, although I have not tried large amounts of sugary or fatty foods, just a bite here and there.  No regrets at this point - I had no complications, recovered quickly from surgery with very little pain.  I am healthy, happy and losing weight.  The gastric bypass was the right choice for me.  Good luck on your journey!
obrienbus18
on 8/6/08 7:22 am - Linwood, MA
Listen to yourself and do plenty of research. Read all the boards, Lap band and revison surgery.
You need to know yourself and your eating habits. I had lapband and it was not right for me. It was a safe choice I thought instead of RNY. After 2 years I had a revision to RNY. Wish I had done more research and had been honest with my own feelings...Good Luck...Debbie

jayner
on 8/6/08 7:53 am - Littleton, MA
hi,

Perhaps you should speak with Dr. Rebecca Shore. She does breast cancer surgery and is a weight loss surgeon. She works out of Lowell General and Emerson. I think she would be a good second opinion for you.

Jayne

robin91
on 8/6/08 11:44 pm
Thank you, Jayne - I will call Dr. Shore. 

I really need to figure out what I'll be doing and I'm sure the insruance company will need to be consulted on extra costs as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views