First nurse visit

Lynski
on 7/31/08 3:10 am - Central, MA
Hello,
I have my first visit with Lisa at Lowell General's program on Monday.  I was wondering what to expect and how long I'll be there.  According to their program, I should be scheduled for surgery within 2 to 3 months.
I'm really excited to start the process!
Take care all,
Lynne

This is me on my way to Tahiti!!
NeedhamGal
on 7/31/08 11:05 am - MA
Hi Lynne, I am glad you found a program!    My first appt was maybee 2 hours total..including wait time. I had met with the PA and then with the Doc.  I also had to go downstairs for a blood draw.    I hope someone answers you who used Lowell General.

Good luck in this journey!

Joan
jayner
on 7/31/08 8:27 pm - Littleton, MA
hi Lynne,

I had my surgery at Emerson. The same three surgeons at Lowell General also are the surgeons at Lowell General. I had Rebecca Shore. I absolutely loved her. She is young, energetic, smart and skilled. They use sutures instead of staples.

Mu first appointment was at the end of January. They told me that I needed to lose 5 % of my weight. (I ended up losing 10%.) Two weeks later I had my bloodwork, ultrasound, upper GI and chest x-ray. I had my surgery on May 14th.

You can go to either support group meeting - or you can go to both. They have different agendas.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Jayne

xxkimberlyxx
on 8/1/08 8:06 am
Hi Lynne!!!
                        Be sure to let us know how your visit goes. I had my surgery on 5/13 as well...and my first visit was sometime in Feb....so yea...you should be looking at November I would say. You jsut have to get all your pre-op stuff done..Lisa will give you this list. Let me know what support group meetings your going to and I will meet you there!!!! Which surgeon are you using??
Lynski
on 8/3/08 2:21 pm - Central, MA
I am leaning towards Dr. Shen, but not sure yet.  I notice you used him too!  I'm also undecided on the type of WLS, but I guess what the initial consult is about....
I'll give you an update on when I'll be at a support meeting - I'd love to get to know you!  Do you live near Lowell?  I am in Fitchburg, only about 1/2 hour away.  I was going to go through a WL program at St. Vincent's in Worcester, but my initial consult wasn't until 12/4!  I'm not known for my patience!
I'll let you know how it goes!
Lynne

xxkimberlyxx
on 8/3/08 9:58 pm
I live in Southern NH ... My dad lives in Townsend and was in a nursing home n Fitchgurg for a while. I LOVE Dr. Shen ...he is very quite...doenst talk much..but let me tell you ...theres something about him that makes you feel at ease..almost with a friend. He is kind and sweet. I had no complications what so ever and no regrets. My step sister and her best friend also used Dr. Shen. Let me know how today goes and I will meet you some Tues night at a support group!!

Kim
CarolWannabe
on 8/2/08 11:10 am - Pepperell, MA
Hi Lynne - I had my surgery thru LGH.  Everyone is very nice there, in fact I have an appt this Tuesday with Lisa and Shannon (my NUT).  I will be 8 months post-op on Aug. 10th.  It seems like so long ago that I was in the same spot you are and never thought things would happen.  I feel things move very quickly at LGH compared to other programs I have heard about.  I had Dr. Jiser.  I saw him twice before surgery - never even saw him the morning of my surgery - and have not seen him since.  I did not find him to be very "bed side friendly".  He's a great surgeon, don't get me wrong, but I sometimes wish I had gone with either Dr. Shore or Dr. Shen.  Just my personal opinion.  Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions.  Best of Luck on Monday !
Carol
Lynski
on 8/4/08 12:26 pm - Central, MA
My initial consult went great today.  I made it to 41 BMI, so I am eligible.  Actually, their scale was 5 lbs. higher than mine at home.   :-/ 
Anyways, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at about 17 as far as excited!
I've decided on Dr. Shen, but I'm still undecided as far as LapBand or GB.  Because of my GERD, GB may be the way to go.  I'll learn more as I attend the support meetings etc.
I already gave up soda and coffee, so the rest should be cake.  Er, maybe a bad choice of words! 
I have to lose 5% of my weight, so I start cutting back tomorrow.  Because I've given up all caffeine, I'm hoping that starting my vitamins will give me some energy.
I'll keep you all updated - it looks like my surgery will be around the end of October.
Have a great night!!
Lynne

MultiMom
on 8/6/08 6:28 am - NH

Hi Lynne,
You are a week ahead of me!! I have my first appointment with Lisa on Monday, the 11th. I have a friend who had (and loved) Dr Shore. I am very motivated and have already choosen GB. Tell me more what to expect that first meeting.... I have been calling for the last 2 weeks trying to have it sooner. We should meet at our pre op support groups :)

MultiMom

Lynski
on 8/6/08 12:49 pm - Central, MA
Hi MultiMom,
My appt went great - first you meet with a nurse to weigh you and take your vitals.  She was the boss so maybe it was Christine.  Don't know.
Then I went through the questionnaire with Lisa.  She's really nice.  Then I sat at the front desk with Susan (?) to make all my appts.  It took about an hour or so.
I am still undecided on which surgery, but Lisa said the support groups would help me decide.  I'm leaning towards GB, but my family and friends want Lapband because it's less invasive.
Today I went to a group nutritional meeting with Shannon.  That went really well.  Everyone in that office is great!
I'll definitely be at the 8/26 support group meeting - maybe we can meet up.  We can compare stories on how we got to this place!  I'm so excited, not scared at all.  I already gave up coffee and soda.  (I was a beast on Saturday because of the withdrawal, all my husband said I did was complain.!)
So from your name, are you a mom of multiples?  I have B/G twins that will be 3 tomorrow.  They are a handful, but so much fun.
Take care and GOOD LUCK!!
Lynne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs