I'm new here...and I have LOTS of questions.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 7:36 am - Winchester, MA
Hello to everyone.  I'm new here, so I'm sure I will annoy you with lots of questions.

A little bit about me.  I'm 24.  I'm engaged.  My fiance and I have been together since we were in high school.  We have 3 kids, all born since March of 2005.  I'm crazy, I know.  

Anyway, I've been overweight since before I had kids and now it's just out of control.  In total, I've been overweight for about 7 years, obese for about 5 of them.  I've completely lost hope in getting this under control myself.  I'm a very active mother, seeing as I'm chasing around 3 children under 3.  I don't overeat.  I'm completely confused as to why I'm like this.  For instance, when I'm pregnant, I gain less than the recommended amount of 25-35lbs.  I've gained 17, 19, and 21 lbs with each of my pregnanies.  By the time I give birth and leave the hospital, I'm down to my pre-pregnancy weight.  BUT, within two months after giving birth, I'm packing it on again.  It just makes no sense.

It is really starting to impact my quality of life and my children's lives.  My cholesterol is through the roof.  It is hereditary on my father's side, as are heart disease and high blood pressure.  I was put on Lipitor and it made my liver enzymes skyrocket.  I'm having horrible shortness of breath.  My knees and back hurt SO bad.  I have insomnia.  I have no energy.  I'm depressed.  I have horrible anxiety.  I avoid social situations, because I am so self-conscious.  I've been put on Lexapro and Xanax for depression and anxiety.  I'm 5 feet tall and am tipping the scales at 243 lbs, my heaviest ever.  Oh and I'm starting to have chronic heartburn.  Also, I had surgery last April due to a nodule on my thyroid.  I had to have the right half removed.  My weight just keeps going up up up and the doctors keep claiming my levels are fine judging by my blood work.

So, here I am, joining all of you with my questions and for support.

I have Mass Health, yes, the dreaded health insurance.  Does it cover lap-band surgery?  What doctors are available?  How long is the process?  I'm actually going to see my PCP tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling.  If you could answer any of my questions or have any other info, it would be greatly appreciated.

KellyMASS
on 7/20/08 8:42 am - MA
First I think you should start keeping a food journal. It may help with actually seeing what and how much you are eating. I believe Mass Health covers RNY(gastric bypass), I am not sure about the band though. I remember people talking here about it covering RNY. I'm 5'3 and was much heavier than you and I totally understand about your knees. So I do feel for you.  Talk to your doctor and he/she will recommend you to a surgeon so you can go for a consult. They'll submit it to Mass Health and then you'll find out if they'll cover it or not.
I know you have small kids to chase after but use that to your advantage for exercise.. taking them for walks .. or to the park .. I'm sure you know all the stuff. Being a mom we know how to keep them busy. 3 children under 3 .. you are brave!!!
I wish you the best with everything, I wish I could have been more helpful .. But everyone here is great and they'll answer all kinds of questions you have.
Best of luck to you.~Kelly
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Hondurian Queen
on 7/20/08 9:51 pm - BOSTON, MA
HELLO DO YOU JUST HAVE MASS HEALTH? DO YOU HAVE NEIGHBOORHOOD HEALTH WITH IT CAUSE IF YOU DONT CALL MASS HEALTH AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THIS BECAUSE THEY PAID FOR MY BAND THE NHP MASS HEALTH WONT BUT THEY WILL ALLOW YOU TO GET NHP AND THEY WILL PAY KEEP ME IN FORMED AND GOOD LUCK

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/08 2:19 am - Winchester, MA
I have straight Mass Health, the PCC plan.  That way I can see any doctor that takes Mass Health and I don't need a referral for most things.
karianne
on 7/21/08 6:57 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hi and Welcome,

I agree with the person who posted about using a food journal to log your intake.  You did not become morbitly obese from not overeating lol.  Your either in denial about not "overeating" or  you have a medical issue making you obese, in which case a weight loss surgery will probably not help.  If you walk into a weight loss surgeons office and say you don't overeat I think you may have many appointments with the psychologist lol.

The band is an amazing tool and many do very well with it.   Come check out the lap-band forum to get more information.  I'm not familiar with Mass health (I thought it was only for children lol).  I would call them right up and ask if they cover the band, RNY or both.  Then you can really research and get yourself prepared. 

It has been the best decision I've ever made.  I had 3 children by 26yrs old and had my lap-band placed when I was 29.  It was a quick surgery and I went back to work in 4 days (I teach middle school).  I just had a TT and I feel like my journey is finally coming to an end and I'm just living life.  You will feel much better when you lose the weight. 

GoodLuck, Karianne 

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views