Revision Process

apr79yl
on 7/18/08 4:21 am - MA
Hello all,

I've been considering a revision for a while now.  Was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions? 

I had gastric bypass in Jan of 2002 with Dr. Randal at Lawrence Memorial.  I dropped 160 lbs but in the last 2 years I've gained back about 45 lbs. 

I no longer have the same insurance, and wasn't sure if revision could be covered?

Any suggestions where to start? I did look at doctors who did revisions.

goldroses
on 7/24/08 5:36 am - S. Weymouth, MA
Honestly getting a revision won't be an easy road. You will have to go see your surgeon and  usually they will tell you to get back to basics and up your exercise. Most of the time revision surgery is covered where there is a mechanical failure like a staple line failure, gastro-gastric fistula,ulcer, blown open stomas. Those conditions can be seen via radiology or endoscopy. I had a revision of my bypass because I had 2 fistulas and 3 ulcers, so it was medically necessary and my insurance paid for it. It was a more involved surgery than the origninal bypass I was on tube feedings for 8 weeks and was out of work for 6 months. The doctors simply won't  revise because of weight gain with no mechanical issues.  Even with obvious mechanical issues it took me over 1 year to get a revision, it involved less invasive methods to treat the fistulas and ulcers and 2nd & 3rd opinions which are not easy to get because not alot of surgeons want to deal with others surgeons problem patients.  I don't want to be a downer but you might not hear the news from your surgeon that you want to  hear either.  Start with your original surgeon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views