Lowell General

Lynski
on 7/17/08 12:40 am - Central, MA
Hello all,
Just wondering...
Has anyone gone through Lowell General's program for WLS?
Any feedback - negative or positive?
Thanks in advance,
Lynne

jayner
on 7/17/08 4:23 am - Littleton, MA
hi Lynne,

The same three doctors that work out of Lowell General also work out of Emerson. I went to Emerson and had Dr. Shore. I absolutely love her!! I like the Emerson program and have always been pleased with the care at Emerson.

If you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer them.

We are having an outing in Waltham on July 27th. This would be a good place to go to meet other people who have had surgery and ask questions.

Jayne

Sue M.
on 7/17/08 5:27 am - Nantucket, MA

Lowell General was actually my first choice place...but alas insurance got in the way so I am going with another program.  I have heard nothing but high praise for the entire staff at Lowell General.  I was particularly impressed with the PA there who was in charge of the information session I attended (I believe she's also been a WLS patient). 

Best of luck!

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
xxkimberlyxx
on 7/17/08 9:59 am

Hi Lynne,
                     I had RYN 5/13 with Dr. Shen at Lowell General. The center for WL managment is an AWESOME team. Shannon is my nut and Lisa is great too..shes the NP..she is sometimes hard to get a hold of but she knows her stuff...doesnt sugar coat things and tells you like it is. Nancy is the nurse that goes into surgery with you and she is super...made me feel at ease...CHristine comes and checks you out at the hosp and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about everyone at the center.
The staff at Lowell General were very supportive...talked with me about my choice to have surgery and were just wonderful. No...no one paid me to say any of this...its all true. I almost went through Dr. Randall (not to say he isnt a good surgeon) but chose Dr. Shen and his team and am so glad I did...no complication..I feel great...losing a little slower then I'd like but no regrets.
Good Luck with your decision...it is a very personal thing. Hope I helped!!

Kim

Girl ..
on 7/17/08 12:32 pm - MA
Hi Lynne,
Like Jayne I use dthe same team of surgeons, only out of Emerson in Concord.  I also had Dr. Shore and was extremely happy from the first info session, through the surgery and recovery.  No complaints, only wish I had done this years ago!
Good Luck!
Julie

Starting weight : 273 lbs - BMI 42.8
Day of Surgery : 265 lbs  - BMI 41.5
April 20, 2008: 175 pounds - BMI 27.4
November 11, 2008: 158 pounds 24.7

CarolWannabe
on 7/17/08 10:17 pm - Pepperell, MA
I also went thru LGH (Dr. Jiser) and have Shannon for my NUT and Lisa Dutton is the NP (and she had her surgery almost 5 years ago with Dr. Jiser).  She was pulled away from a Cardiologist's office at Saints where she worked and joined Dr. Jiser's team at LGH.  She's also a friend of mine.  I had no problems with the team at LGH and things moved very quickly there.    Good Luck !
Carol
Lynski
on 7/21/08 4:05 am - Central, MA
Hi again!
Well I went to the informational meeting on 7/18 and have my 1st nurse visit on 8/4 - terribly excited!!!  Dr. Shen and Lisa did the presentation.   Everyone seems nice and experienced, and the program seems very thorough (as far as support & follow ups).
There is just one question.  My current BMI is right on the edge of being eligible.  I'm at like 39.9!  So I'm wondering if anyone had gone through this program, do they do the 1st weigh-in in a johnny or your street clothes?  I figure I'll wear jeans if I can wear my own clothes!  Anything to be eligible - maybe even drink alot before weigh-in....
Thanks for your help,
Lynne

Brigal2000
on 7/22/08 4:38 am
Hello,

I went through LGH and have had a great experience.  I had Dr. Jiser and thought he was wonderful!  There was a time I was unsure about what surgery to have the band or the bypass and he really took the time to explain to me the ins and outs of both and helped me make the best decision for me.  I had the bypass and have not had a single regret!  I too have Shannon as a nut ans she is really helpful.  I am not much of a cook and she always has easy meal ideas and ways for me to get  my protein in!

I would highly recommend the program!  Also I like the follow up care and the support group meetings.  I probably attend once a month and it's a good way to regain focus.

Good luck on your journey!
Shannon
ShadowLightLady
on 7/25/08 12:29 pm - Lowell, MA
Congrats on your appointments!
LGH was my program of choice as well.

As to your question about the weigh ins, they are always in street clothes. The only thing you will have to take off is your shoes and socks when they need to use the special scale for the offical BMI.

I just had my one year anniversary with this program. It is definately worth it.

Hope

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views