Postponement!

Leila M.
on 7/16/08 12:44 pm - MetroWest, MA
With less than 48 hours to go before my gastric bypass surgery, I have had to postpone it!    I had an MRI last week to followup on some foot numbness I had been experiencing.  Yesterday morning I received a call from my doctor, telling me I needed to see a neurosurgeon, and she had set up the appointment for that afternoon!  The MRI showed a meningioma (benign tumor) pressing on my spinal cord!  To summarize, it's been recommended that I arrange to have surgery to remove it, and soon, or it could cause permanent paralysis.  The GP surgery needs to be postponed.

Instead, I'm facing spinal surgery at Brigham&Women's next week.  To say I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the year!!    But Dr Randall and his nurse Joanne have been so supportive and positive. 

My emotions have been on a roller coaster this week, but I will get over this hurdle by the grace of God, and restart my WLS journey...

Thanks for listening,
Leila
NeedhamGal
on 7/16/08 8:38 pm - MA
Hi Leila, Sorry for your disappointment.   THe door isn't closed on WLS...just needs to wait for you to get this taken care of now.   I had my WLS at the BRigham and the nurses were dynamite. The nurses have only 4 patients during the day. Everyone from check-in, holding,preop,(don't remember recovery), imaging, the PCA's, were delightful during my stay. 
I hope this helps knowing you will be taken care of in a kind, sympathetic environment for your surgery.   

Let us know how you make out.

Joan
Sue M.
on 7/16/08 11:12 pm - Nantucket, MA

I'm sorry to hear of your meningioma.  My mom has two, one of which is effecting her vision - which is currently inoperable.  The good news is that yours has been discovered before something like paralysis happens. 

Best of luck on your spinal surgery.  I can't imagine your disappointment and new set of fears, but perhaps things happen for a reason!

Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
nicunicu2002
on 7/17/08 12:37 am - Sharon, MA
Leila:

Im so sorry that you are having to deal with this, but hopefully it will only deter your WLS until the fall.  Thank God this was discovered before any permanent damage has happened, but I know even with knowing that it must be very disappointing.  Keep up posted on your journey.

Kim

ks4
on 7/17/08 2:33 am - Fitchburg, MA

Leila,

So sorry to hear your disappointing news, but like the other posters said, at least it was discovered before any permanant damage was done.  If you weren't going through the process to have WLS, this may never been found.  As disappointing as it is to have your WLS postponed, at least you know that your doctors have your best interest in mind and that the WLS will still happen, just a little later than planned.

Leila M.
on 7/17/08 3:00 am - MetroWest, MA
Thank you, everyone, for you kind thoughts and support! !   Surgery is planned for Tuesday morning July 22 at Brigham&Womens.  I will keep you posted.

Leila
(deactivated member)
on 7/19/08 2:01 am - east falmouth, MA
All things aside, I am really glad they found it!  I had spinal surgery a few years back and it is not something to mess around with.  I also felt a lot better quite quickly ( in my case anyway) 
Your WLS will still happen but first things first...when things mess with your spine it causes a chain reaction and things get worse and worse....often irreversable ( I still have almost no feeling in my hands but it won't get any worse!)   

I had my surgery postponed from june/july until Novewmber because test showed the need for more tests and for economic reasons ( I have to work in the summer.  Cape Cod ya know!!!!)  I was devastated when I found out.   I am getting over the dissapointment and have my head around the idea that all this stuff I have to do is leading me into my new side of life with a more healthy body...

Good luck,  my prayers are with you and you will be in good hands at Brigham and Womens.( Earth Based hands of God in my opinion...)  Be kind to yourself and your spine,  all will come together in the time it takes...HUGS!!!!!! hang in there!  
antonietta23
on 7/19/08 9:55 am - Holbrook, MA
I am sure you are dissappointed but at least they found out a problem that would have causeyou a problem later.  It is just more hurdle I wish you the best
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views