How long is the process?

Lynski
on 7/6/08 7:57 am - Central, MA
Hello all, I am very new to this website and have yet to go to my first informational meeting (it's on 7/10). I had a question though on the whole process and about how long it would be before I had a surgery date set.  From what I understand, there is psychological testing involved, etc. I know it's not an overnight thing, but I believe I qualify for a procedure, whether it be lapband or rny, etc. Thanks in advance, Lynne
KellyMASS
on 7/6/08 10:20 am, edited 7/6/08 10:21 am - MA
It depeneds on your insurance and what they require . Mine required a 6 month supervised  diet I had to complete. and then there was a 6 week wait until my surgery date .. My consult was 4/18/07 and my surgery date was 12/04/07. Where are you having surgery?
Panni removal on 8*31*09~11lbs of skin removed!
353/324.5/299/180/165.. At ultimate goal! on 8/31/09/current 155lbs!!! 9/8/09
high/consult(4/18/07)/surgery weight/hopeful goal/ultimate goal
Surgery date 12/04/07...299 lbs... Ticker is from consult date.

Sharon M.
on 7/6/08 11:19 am - Medford, MA
Hi Lynne: I've heard that the process varies greatly depending on where you go and what insurance you have.  I've been told that my process has gone extremely well.  Dates below.   Hope it helps! May 13, 2008            Appt. with Primary May 28, 2008            Initial consult with Surgeon May 29, 2008            Psych Consult June 2, 2008            Nutrition Consult June 9, 2008            Cardiology Clearance June 10, 2008          Upper GI & Fasting Blood work June 12, 2008          Stress Echocardiogram June 13, 2008          Pulmonary Clearance July 1, 2008              Saw Surgeon... He says we are a go.... July 2, 2008              Dr.'s office submitted to Ins.(BCBS) for approval.... Said we should hear something by Monday (7/7)of next week.... Tentatively scheduled for surgery last week in July!  Good luck!! -Sharon
patsfan334
on 7/7/08 2:41 am
Lynski
on 7/7/08 7:37 am - Central, MA
Thank you both for your replies.... I live in Fitchburg and the informational meeting is at St. Vincent's in Worcester.  I suppose the surgery would be in Worcester also.  St Vincent's is a great hospital and so is UMass Memorial (in Worcester). That is where I had my twins. Kelly - you are looking great.  I'll bet it feels wonderful to be "shrinking". Sharon - good luck on your upcoming surgery!  I hope my process takes as short a time as yours. Take care, Lynne
SueAustin
on 7/7/08 9:49 am - Auburn, MA
The process is different for everyone depending on if you need extra appointments beside the intial intake appoints.  There could be extra appointments with nutrition, phychologists, medical appointments.  I went through the program a UMASS Worcester.  My 1st orientation meeting was 10-11-08 and the 2nd meeting was the end of October.  My 1st intake appointment was on 1-3-08 and I just had my surgery on 7-1-08.  My insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) approved my surgery in 1 week but they tell you if could take 4-6 weeks.  I feel fortunate that it went relatively quickly because I know depending on the situation it can take longer.  Hope this information is helpful and good luck in your process.  Sue A.
jriz201
on 7/8/08 11:42 am - Southbridge, MA
I went to the program at med city. I went to the 1st meeting the big group meeting on 2-14-08 and I just go my date yesterday, I will be having RNY on 8-28-08. You will have to go to a 6 week psy class and a few nut appointments. The main thing you will have to do is loose a least 5-10 % of you weight, the closer you are to the 10% the sooner you will be approved. They will tell you at the 1st meeting it takes 6 months and thats about how long it will take if you loose the weight.
NeedhamGal
on 7/12/08 6:44 am - MA

What hospital /doctor are you thinking of using?

Joan

Lynski
on 7/12/08 10:56 am - Central, MA

Joan,

I do not have a hospital yet.  After my informational meeting on Thursday at St. Vincent's,  I called the Leominster Fallon branch and could not get an appt for the initial consult until Dec.!  I accepted that at first and then figured I could try another place.

Through Lowell General's program, I could get my initial consult in early August.  I think the surgery is done at Emerson in Concord though.  Their doctors are Rebecca Shore and Michael Jiser.  (If anyone out there could give me feedback on them, it would be greatly appreciated.)

I just want to make sure I am getting a good surgeon but I also do not want to wait a loooong time.   Patience is not one of my better qualities.

Did you have surgery yet?  Was it in my area?

Thanks!

Lynne

AwesomeForever
on 7/12/08 8:52 am - Marlborough, MA

Dear Lynne:

Here is a brief listing:

Informational Meeting  end of August 07

Consult...Oct 23rd 07

Pre-op    Dec 20 07

Surgery    Jan 3rd 08

Surgeon      Pablo Gazmuri

Hospital    Newton Wellesley