Quick Grab bites

ks4
on 7/1/08 10:49 am - Fitchburg, MA
What do you grab when you hungry and don't have time to make anything or don't feel like cooking cuz it's too damn hot out!  For me it's always a cheese stick, or yogurt, cottage cheese or a protein bar.  I'm in need of something different.  Any ideas?

Jadeyesmiling
on 7/1/08 11:06 am
VSG on 02/08/16
deviled eggs with low fat mayo? (you can cook them ahead) Or plain boiled eggs. Celery with peanut butter? Im still pre-surgery, but am doing a no sugar diet, :), hopefully that helps a little. Also if you google lindas low carb, her website will come up and she has all types of dishes/snacks/soups/ you name it. Im sure you can tweak things to lower the fat content.  There is also a low carb cooking show, Blaines low carb kitchen... something to that effect, and its on Fit Tv.... Those recipies would have no sugar, and you could tweak those as well to lower fat. :) (he also has a website with recipies listed) Im sure there are plenty of snacks that you could make ahead and then just have at the ready!

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

foobear
on 7/1/08 2:00 pm - Medford, MA
This week especially, I've been big on salads, specifically baby spinach salad, with 1/4 c. of lo-fat shredded cheese, grape tomatoes and cukes.  I just use 2 T of "lite" dressing.  If I want a real meal, I'll add 2 or 3oz of sliced, cooked deli turkey, torn up on the top of the salad. A great snack or lite lunch (or a healthy dessert) is 1/2 a ripe pear, cored and sliced into thin wedges, eaten with a couple of slices of reduced-fat, extra sharp cheddar cheese.   Take a pear wedge and a piece of cheese all at once.  The sweetness of the pear contrasted with the slightly salty, sharpness of the cheese is really something! /Steve
Jadeyesmiling
on 7/1/08 3:02 pm
VSG on 02/08/16
That sounds good steve! Ive only had apples that way, never thought of pears, hmmm, I will have to try that one. I like apples and peanut butter too. Are apples too high in sugar? Or is all fruit o.k. in small quantities??

HW: 528 CW: 386 Short term Goal weight: 350

Tracey :)

foobear
on 7/1/08 3:14 pm - Medford, MA
Once you've graduated to "stage 5" (full foods), most everything is "as tolerated".  Some fibrous fruits might cause problems (e.g., orange or grapefruit segments), but in general whole fruits are fine (not dried and not juices). Your NUT may have specific recommendations, but mine told me "don't drink your fruits" (i.e., fruit juices have too much sugar and too little fiber).  Dried fruits, especially in excess, have a lot of concentrated sugar.  She has always encouraged eating whole fruits and vegetables; always "as tolerated" of course! Apple and peanut butter sounds good; personally, I don't keep peanut butter in the house, because I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from finishing the jar off in a day or so.  It's one of the few foods that scares me!  But aside from that, apples and PB sound like good stuff, in moderation. /Steve
NeedhamGal
on 7/2/08 12:44 am - MA
Footbear.. I like how you write about the peanut butter.  I can't keep icecream in the house. My kids ask...why don't we have Ice cream?  I tell them Momma can't handle it.   I am better off buying them an icecream outside the house than keeping it in the house!    otherwise...good ideas. Joan
Katsnewday
on 7/3/08 10:34 am - Ayer, MA
Hi,  I am new here.  Still in the presurgery phase.  I cant have peanut butter in the house either.  It is a huge red light food for me.  I tried the PB2, its ok, but still has the potential to be dangerous for me.   I take 1/2 apple, celery and 1 tsp ff miracle whip and make a apple salad.  Sometimes for a meal, I add 3 oz chicken and a tblsp of dried cranberries.  

Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4440 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views